Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: another swarm in my bait hive!  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: another swarm in my bait hive!
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 04:38:39 pm »
harvey, you will find a balance.  just be willing to re-evaluate what you are doing as you go.

i keep horses.  in the wild, they don't get their feet done or get wormed.  they don't get vitamins and no one grooms them.  because i choose to keep them, i am responsible for their care.
i keep bees. in the wild there would not be so many hives in one area, nor would anyone take honey from them and try to keep them from swarming.  because i keep them and take from them, they sometimes need my attention. 

you can read books and talk to people, but much of what you learn will come from trial, error, and loss.  you'll never learn all that there is to know, but you will get a feel for things as you go along.   
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 06:47:36 pm »
Thank you,  I am excited about bee keeping, I like to try new things however I do not wish to offend anyone on here.  Everyone has been very helpful.  I will learn as I go, with my luck as usual the hard way.  Again thanks to all. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:31 pm »
Harvey, I've not been offended one time for every 20 times I have offended someone. Besides, this wasn't the one, either, if you thought it was.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 10:04:25 am »
harvey, you will find a balance.  just be willing to re-evaluate what you are doing as you go.

i keep horses.  in the wild, they don't get their feet done or get wormed.  they don't get vitamins and no one grooms them.  because i choose to keep them, i am responsible for their care.
i keep bees. in the wild there would not be so many hives in one area, nor would anyone take honey from them and try to keep them from swarming.  because i keep them and take from them, they sometimes need my attention. 

you can read books and talk to people, but much of what you learn will come from trial, error, and loss.  you'll never learn all that there is to know, but you will get a feel for things as you go along.   
[/quote

Kathy, That really is what it's all about. You are a wise woman!!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 10:38:28 am »
Thank you,  I am excited about bee keeping, I like to try new things however I do not wish to offend anyone on here.  Everyone has been very helpful.  I will learn as I go, with my luck as usual the hard way.  Again thanks to all. 

Trying new things happens all the time here!!  We all try things and then settle down into an experienced routine that works for each of us.  Take making frames and going foundationless...I tried it and don't like it, but others do.   Sometimes we learned the hard way, sometimes ideas work out.  Sometimes those of us who've been here for more than a couple years have seen some ideas come around more than a few times, and when it didn't work for us then we're a little discouraging on it.  But there are plenty of ideas that others do that don't work for me, so I'll throw my experiences into the mix.  Go in eyes wide open....hope for success, expect failure....

But then again...we all know all that already....
Rick

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 01:32:17 pm »
get any more swarms yet?

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 11:57:39 pm »
I had a swarm in one of my bait hives.  There were hundreds of bees on the outside and they were going in and out.  I left the bait hive there for five days and went and got it after dark tonight.  I used a flashlight to look inside can only see under the frames.  I only saw one little bee?  It has been storming all day so maybe the bees are tight up in the comb?  Either that or they didn't like the bait hive and moved on?  I won't know till morning when I take the top off.  I will be putting the bait hives back out this weekend.  I have my fingers crossed.  Just picked up some 1 by 12's to make more boxes.  maybe I jinxed myself?

anything