Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: nitrile gloves  (Read 7539 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
nitrile gloves
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:44:16 pm »
Can you still get stung through these gloves??

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: nitrile gloves
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:00:48 am »
Depends on the thickness.  I have 6mm thick nitrile gloves and I have never been stung through those.  And not from lack of trying on the bees' part.  :-D
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:52:02 am »
I have worn the thin blue WalMart nitrile gloves while doing cutouts.  I have been stung once through a glove on the end of my finger, when I pinched a bee when I grabbed a piece of comb.

It's possible to get stung through the thin ones (only ones I have tried) but it is not common.  The bees don't seem to like trying to sting the rubber material.

It's a lot easier to keep your hands clean if you wear these gloves.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 09:15:06 am »
I have those big fat leather gloves and it is not good for dexterity.. I will have to try them , where do you guys get them?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 10:41:26 am »
I got these from Fisher Scientific.  They are thick and food grade.    And they have an extended wrist because the bees like to sting just above the top of the glove. :)  They do make your hands sweat though.

Best* CleaN-DEX* Ultimate 100% Nitrile Gloves, Exceptional puncture and chemical resistance, Manufacturer-suggested ISO Class 6 (Class 1000). Ideal for hand protection in critical environments., C9905PFSW, C9905PFMW, C9905PFLW, C9905PFXLW

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:55:39 am »
Has any one found any that are sweat proof ??

Tried them in 90+ weather could pour the sweat out.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:22:45 pm »
I use the 8 mm ones from Gempler's.  I've been stung in them and I sweat buckets in them.  It does make for more dexterity and I can snap pictures much easier.

It's a trade-off either way.  The big leather ones are too big for my hands even in Dadant's XXS size and I'm clumsy in them.

This year I'm going to try to go gloveless for the most part.  I love going gloveless because you can feel the movement of the bees around your hands and brush against their tiny hairy bodies - it's fabulous.  Of course the trade-off is sting vulnerability

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:54:52 pm »
This year I'm going to try to go gloveless for the most part.
Linda T in Atlanta
Going gloveless in the Spring works pretty well unless you have a grumpy bunch of bees.  But from October through February (in North Carolina)  even the calm bees are pretty adamant about protecting their stores.   So if you use gloves in cooler weather you will be a bit safer from stings and probably have less sweat too.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:09:15 pm »
I've always used canvas gloves.  Not sting proof, but I like the dexterity.  And after a few years the fingers go through holes, and the dexterity got even better.

Tried nitrile gloves a few times in between, and whew...yeah..hot and wet...yuck!

Now I don't bother with gloves anymore and that is the best :)
Rick

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 03:21:31 pm »
I like the blue nitrile gloves, they are sting resistant but not sting proof.  I have used them for years in my other hobby so I'm used to the sweaty hands so I don't think about it much and it really helps with the dexterity.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:48:03 pm »
My wife uses garden gloves (canvas dipped).  They come in much smaller sizes and the rubber dipping protects the inside which is where you would run the risk of pinching a bee.  The canvas outside lets them breath.  They are also washable.  I can't get them big enough for my hands but I would like to try them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 09:06:04 pm »
I don't get stung through gloves anymore, I don't use them.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Dave360

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 10:07:02 pm »
Love the cheap harbor freight 6.99 per 100 on sale blue gloves double up for bees single when gluing or painting and yes they make you sweat but less stings or paint/glue on hands

Dave

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:03 pm »
Another good thing about them is that they are disposable.   Don't worry about getting bee glue all over the place, just toss them and get a clean cool dry set and go.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 12:10:25 am »
I don't get stung through gloves anymore, I don't use them.

Yep have to agree there i have them but hardly use them.  Find that i kill more of my gals with them on then without.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 12:23:05 am »
I use rose pruning gloves - they work well, and have long cuffs.  They have to be leather though, otherwise the bees can get through them.  I will have to try the nitrile ones for cut-outs though - at least for the more aggressive ones.  I pretty much ruined one pair of gloves that way with all the dripping honey, and with that particular hive, bare handed was not an option.  Frame-shift, thanks for the link!

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 01:12:39 am »
I get the blue nitrile gloves at WalMart. 

If I am getting in a hive and manipulating frames, I go without gloves unless the bees are extremely defensive, in which case I will wear leather gloves for that hive.

If I am pulling honey and doing more physically demanding work on a hive, and I will have the bees worked up by being rough or blowing bees out of supers, I will wear leather gloves.  There is no sense taking more abuse than necessary.

About the only time I wear nitrile gloves is doing cutouts.  I want to be able to feel what I am doing when I am handling bee covered combs, but I want a little protection from unnecessary stings.  My biggest complaint with the thin blue nitrile gloves doing cutouts is how easily they tear.

salvo

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:03 pm »
I listened to a pod cast a few weeks ago where "Fat Bee Man" said to rub your bare hands with a few drops of "liquid smoke", such as that used in food seasoning. The discussion was along the lines that just as one would use smoke from a smoker to affect the bees, a similar effect results from this liquid smoke on your hands. The bees avoid your hands. No gloves! Sounds good,...No?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 11:51:25 pm »
I listened to a pod cast a few weeks ago where "Fat Bee Man" said to rub your bare hands with a few drops of "liquid smoke",
Interesting.  Do you have a link to the podcast?

Offline TomP

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 01:44:02 am »
The podcast is in 3 parts.  You can find them at http://somdbeekeeper.com/