Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee's and bears!  (Read 1918 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Bee's and bears!
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:48:37 am »
These are a friends colonies.   This is the 3rd friend in opposite corners of my county hit this spring.   Knock on wood they have not found mine

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Bee's and bears!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:00:27 am »
That's a sad sight, keep those darn bears up there with you guys!

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:36:49 am »
They don't leave much do they.
Later,
Ray

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:53:22 am »
This one was salvaged.  All the bee's were in the upside down bottom brood box that the bear just flipped off the back of the bottom board.   Yesterday my friend installed electric fencing.   

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:28:01 pm »
You think something ran it off. I see buildings in the distance. From what I've seen, bears don't leave much behind. Your friend is fortunate.
Ray
Later,
Ray

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 12:33:58 pm »
Very well could have been chased off.   This is a high dollar lake side subdivision.   The pole barn is his shop across the road from his log (mansion)  cabin.  Lots of people very close

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 01:53:44 pm »
A bear seems to have rambled through my chicken coop with only some minor stretching to the wire as it climbed over the fence. He seems to have ambled right by the bee hives from what I can see as no disturbance. The neighbour's dog was barking which is generally a pretty good indicator that bears were around. The bees were only in them a couple of weeks so maybe not enough smell. Anyhoo no damage. Curiously enough I had doswed where to locate them in the yard. There is lot that goes on in this world that we have yet to understand.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 04:42:18 pm »

I had one of those front door handle cardboard thingies hanging from my mailbox last year. Thought it was the water dept boil notice since we were having issues in the neighborhood for the previous 3 months.

Nope! Bear Alert from the Florida Game commission. Great bears and bees! Secure your trashcans and don't leave petfood outside it said.... Duh!

Didn't have a problem after the alert thank goodness!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 08:37:34 pm »
I had a problem with a couple of junior sized black bears last August. Kept knocking over a couple of the hives. ended up losing one. My hives a protected by an electric fence. I bought a 25 miler, puts out 11,000 volts. Couple of weeks ago I heard it snapping one night, went out to see what the problem was and found a tree frog laying across the wire and about a quarter inch from touching the metal post just arcing away.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 09:27:05 am »
tear off 2 inch strips of aluminum foil,  spread peanut butter in the middle, hang over the wire about every 5 - 10 feet with the peanut butter on the inside.  Everything that comes by will touch there wet noses to the foil.   you don't need as big of a fence charger with this

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 09:35:21 am »
I posted a pdf in another thread previously for a fence design for a small apiary:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=42972.0