Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Damage from Gustav  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Damage from Gustav
« on: September 09, 2008, 04:26:32 pm »
Well I finally got a chance to check my hives today, it was not a good trip. I had 6 very strong hives now I have 2. 3 hives were blown into a canal that runs behind my beeyard about 25 feet away with not a trace as to thier ever being there. one hive was knocked over and because I was unable to get to them until yesterday they absconded and what was left was covered in a mush of comb and SHB. the two hives that were upright I lost the inner covers and tops to both of those I guess blown into the canal as well. hopefully when the canal is no longer flooding I will be able to find some of my hives and other parts. its a shame they were doing so well.
Also the road leading to them is covered in trees so I will have to cut my way into them if I want to drive my truck to them, it probably is enough to justify renting a trackhoe to remove all the trees. But at least we have Ike to look forward to.

Windblown in Louisiana

Keith

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Re: Damage from Gustav
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:33:12 pm »
darn Keith, very sorry to hear your story...   :(

I strapped mine down this week and again today just in case we got the 70mph winds, we did'nt.

Hope the next one leaves you alone...
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:33:28 pm »
Well I finally got a chance to check my hives today, it was not a good trip. I had 6 very strong hives now I have 2. 3 hives were blown into a canal that runs behind my beeyard about 25 feet away with not a trace as to thier ever being there. one hive was knocked over and because I was unable to get to them until yesterday they absconded and what was left was covered in a mush of comb and SHB. the two hives that were upright I lost the inner covers and tops to both of those I guess blown into the canal as well. hopefully when the canal is no longer flooding I will be able to find some of my hives and other parts. its a shame they were doing so well.
Also the road leading to them is covered in trees so I will have to cut my way into them if I want to drive my truck to them, it probably is enough to justify renting a trackhoe to remove all the trees. But at least we have Ike to look forward to.

Windblown in Louisiana

Keith

We all share your loss.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:40:52 pm »
So sorry to hear of your loss.  :(   I know you and your loved ones are required to get out of dodge, but is it possible with time on your side to load your hives on a pickup or trailer to save them, I don't know.
Beekeeping in hurricane country must be difficult.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:00:55 pm »
I was in Germany when the storm was bearing down on LA. My unit was activated in Germany for Hurricane duty we landed in new Orleans the day before the storm. We drove by bus to our armory in Breaux Bridge, LA to draw weapons. from there we loaded blackhawks to be flown back to N.O. so mayor Ray Nagin could do a press release with troops landing in the back ground. we rode the storm out in a humvee in the city as soon as the storm ended we moved to the northshore to help some other sheriff's Dept's out. I was given a 48 hour pass Monday and Tuesday. we report back at midnight tonight to go back to N.O. in preparations for Ike, which I think will miss us. so to say the least we didn't have any time to prepare my hives I hoped the rocks on top would hold but from the looks of the surrounding areas the wind was moving!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:37:31 pm »
Hey Keith, gather up your woodenware and we will be sure to fill them in spring, if you want some more hives now let me know, not a problem.

I was in Houma yesterday and there are certain areas there that are pretty messed up and without electricity, talked to my buddy CD yesterday and he's making out ok, bees ok, just operating on two generators.

Take care and keep in touch.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:20:59 pm »
Keith I'm sorry for your loss & I hope you find your hive pieces!  That would really suck not being home to prepare!  Think I'll stick with earthquakes & the mountain blowing..at least we'll all be toast so won't know our homes are gone!! :-\  JP has all sorts of bees so he will get you back up & running!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:53:57 pm »
Hey Tiger fan,from another La. resident. Sorry to hear about you hives.I am in Washington Parish we missed the blunt of the storm this time.
Hope you can get your hardware recovered to be back in the hobby soon.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 12:02:19 am »
Dang Keith, I wish that I was closer, I have one of my trac hoes just sitting. I would love to get that sucker over to your place and help out. Sorry about the loss. It is just not fair that you don't have time to prepare and yet you are fufiling the wishes of others.
Kudos waiting for you in heaven my brother!!!
Best wishes.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 09:35:21 am »
I was in Germany when the storm was bearing down on LA. My unit was activated in Germany for Hurricane duty we landed in new Orleans the day before the storm. We drove by bus to our armory in Breaux Bridge, LA to draw weapons. from there we loaded blackhawks to be flown back to N.O. so mayor Ray Nagin could do a press release with troops landing in the back ground. we rode the storm out in a humvee in the city as soon as the storm ended we moved to the northshore to help some other sheriff's Dept's out. I was given a 48 hour pass Monday and Tuesday. we report back at midnight tonight to go back to N.O. in preparations for Ike, which I think will miss us. so to say the least we didn't have any time to prepare my hives I hoped the rocks on top would hold but from the looks of the surrounding areas the wind was moving!

I see you are a very busy man and Thank You for your Service  :-D
You're in Good Hands with JP as Backup  :-D

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 09:42:08 am »
I hate to hear about your lost from Gustav.
Johnny