Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 2416 times)

Offline jeepaddict4life

• New Bee
Hi All
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:33:18 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here (or should that be new bee  :) ) A little about myself: I'm 24, born and raised here in Rochester NY and surrounding suburbs, a recent graduate of RIT (Electrical Engineering Technology), and I am seriously interested in honeybees and everything having to do with beekeeping. As such, I have decided to start on my own next spring with 2 hives. I have some previous experience from a couple of years ago. My friend's Grandparents were hobby beekeepers, and guided me in caring for one of their hives for a season. Unfortunately, they sold all their hives and supplies due to deteriorating health (both are in their late 80's) and I didn't have the time last year to pursue the hobby due to College. Now that I do have the time, I can't wait to get back into it.

I have already learned a huge bundle of information by reading this forum, so I thank you all for that in advance. Hopefully soon I'll be able to add to it with some of my own knowledge.

I hope everyone has a good Labor Day weekend!

-Mike

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 03:26:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum,  Sounds like you have a fair knowlege base to start with if you spent a season caring for a hive.   Read and learn all you can this winter and you will be ready for the spring.  Look forward to hearing form you

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 06:59:20 pm »
A BIG HOWDY from Maryland!!!

Enjoy all the interesting stuff here...find someone close to you and get ready for a new life...cause yours will change once you start keeping Bee's!

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:44:58 pm »
Welcome to the group.
There is alot of good information here.
Johnny

Offline jeepaddict4life

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:27:16 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I can't wait to start next spring, but until then I'll be reading up on beekeeping all I can, and gathering my supplies. I'm going today to figure out where I'm putting my hives!  :lol:

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 08:27:11 am »
Hello and welcome!

In addition to reading here and other online sites, I recommend getting involved with a local beekeeping club. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and are great places to find mentors and get connected with nearby beekeepers. Much of beekeeping is "local", so knowing local beeks is very helpful.
http://www.masterbeekeeper.org/resources/beegroups.htm

Offline jeepaddict4life

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:08:46 pm »
Thanks for the tip! I actually just got an e-mail response from a local club, and I plan to attend their monthly meeting on Monday. Looking forward to it too!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:02:37 pm »
Mike.  Welcome to our forum, so nice that you found us.  Isn't that wonderful that you were able to spend some time learning about the bees with your friend's Grandparents, too bad that health had to stop them from further beekeeping.  This knowledge that you have acquired, hands on, will help you so much when you get your colonies.  Stick around here, you will make new friends, you will have a place to ask your questions, tell your stories, tales and experiences, we love to listen!!!  Have the most wonderful and awesome day, love and live life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything