Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to use lemongrass oil???  (Read 3379 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
How to use lemongrass oil???
« on: June 24, 2007, 01:21:16 pm »
OK friends, I just purchased a little bottle of pure, organic lemongrass oil.

Please tell me how to use this stuff. I know this has to be diluted down with water but how much??? Do you just place this in a spray bottle???

If you want to just leave a super out in the bee yard to attract a swarm, how much do you spray on the frames, super etc????

When using to introduce some brood frames with bees into another hive, how do you do this???? Just spray the bees from both hives???

When introducing a new queen, do you just spray the queen a little before placing the cage in the hive????

Thanks for the help
Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How to use lemongrass oil???
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »
>Please tell me how to use this stuff. I know this has to be diluted down with water but how much???

It will not dilute with water.  It is oil.

>Do you just place this in a spray bottle???

Depends on your intent.  If you want to feed it in syrup or you want to use it to calm bees or you want to use it for swarm lure.  The only thing I use it for is swarm lure.

>If you want to just leave a super out in the bee yard to attract a swarm, how much do you spray on the frames, super etc?Huh

I put a few drops of straight oil on the middle top bar.

>When using to introduce some brood frames with bees into another hive, how do you do this?Huh Just spray the bees from both hives???

I don't.  If that's your intent, you'll either have to mix it with honey or use lecithin to get it to dissolve in the syrup.

>When introducing a new queen, do you just spray the queen a little before placing the cage in the hive?Huh

I don't.  I would be afraid of messing too much with natural smells as they are what drives everything in the hive.  IMO, a little smoke would do more good and less harm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 02:54:15 pm »
When you put the drops on the middle top bar, do you then leave the hive box without a cover - open? 

I'm asking because a squirrel has taken to gnawing on the frames that are uncovered to try to get to the foundation/pollen/whatever in the box below.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 03:00:04 pm »
i left the top on mine.  it's plenty strong enough to do the job with the top on......of course, i didn't get any swarms to move in....:-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 04:47:24 pm »
I would put the top on in case the bees enter the hive and it rains.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 05:40:32 pm »
The last swarm I got, was about 100 ft from the hive body and about 50 to 60 ft high.
I used a small frame type feeder of suger syrup. Did't put it in till the 3rd day. they took it in the afternoon of the 4th day. I put the top on and strapped it down before they took it.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 08:56:29 pm »
>When you put the drops on the middle top bar, do you then leave the hive box without a cover - open?

I can't see how they are going to think it will make a good home without a roof.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin