BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Meat Bees

(1/3) > >>

The15thMember:
I heard someone call yellowjackets "meat bees" today.  Has anyone else ever heard that before?  I have to admit it kind of drove me crazy.  As if people aren't confused enough about what is and is not a bee.  :wink: 

Ben Framed:
Reagan, I share your sentiments.  :cheesy: 

BeeMaster2:
Reagan,
I think they are referring to the fact that YJs, during the spring and summer, collect protein and feed it to their brood. That is why it is not uncommon to use fish in YJ traps. And it works pretty well.
Jim Altmiller

Michael Bush:
I can understand the "meat" part.  Beekeeping clubs etc. though, keep adding to the confusion by using yellow and black bees, as do the cartoons.  Bees are not yellow and black.  They are brown and black, or they are brown and dark brown, or they are black and grey, or they are silver grey.  Honey bees are never yellow.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on September 15, 2022, 07:34:01 am ---Reagan,
I think they are referring to the fact that YJs, during the spring and summer, collect protein and feed it to their brood. That is why it is not uncommon to use fish in YJ traps. And it works pretty well.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Michael Bush on September 15, 2022, 08:01:46 am ---I can understand the "meat" part.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, it's not the "meat" that's riling me up, it's the "bee" part.  Especially because, with a handful of exceptions, not eating meat is one of the definitions of being a bee.  Generally, wasps are meat eaters, bees are pollen eaters, so unless we are talking about vulture bees, the phrase "meat bee" is a totally contradictory. 

--- Quote from: Michael Bush on September 15, 2022, 08:01:46 am ---Beekeeping clubs etc. though, keep adding to the confusion by using yellow and black bees, as do the cartoons.  Bees are not yellow and black.  They are brown and black, or they are brown and dark brown, or they are black and grey, or they are silver grey.  Honey bees are never yellow.

--- End quote ---

You know what drives me crazy even more than that, is the continued use of those totally fake Winnie the Pooh aerial honey bee nests in bee-related graphic design, the ones that look like bumpy tan bald-faced hornet nests.  I can't stand those!  What was A. A. Milne thinking?!  Although to be fair, it's not a like a bald-faced hornet is really a hornet, so I guess we're all guilty of something.  :wink: 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version