Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oil Infusion  (Read 2051 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Oil Infusion
« on: April 14, 2023, 02:16:00 pm »
I made my first herbal infused oil today.  We love using our freeze dryer for herbs, and we just did our first batch of medicinal weeds, so I powdered some of them up and put them in olive oil to steep for several weeks.  Then I can make a salve from the oil by adding beeswax and a few other ingredients.  The recipe I'm copying is called "Woodworker's Salve" (another one from Petra Ahnert), and it's supposed to help pull splinters out of the skin.  The herbs are plantain, chickweed, rosemary, and comfrey.  All were homegrown/-foraged and freeze-dried except for the comfrey, which we are desperately trying to get our hands on.  I think my mom finally found some cuttings online and ordered them. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
Re: Oil Infusion
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 05:28:47 pm »
Here is the completed salve.  We'll see how it works on splinters and cuts.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 06:28:20 pm »
Thanks for sharing this Member.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 07:41:32 am »
I?m interested to know if it works. When I was a kid, we used Itheall (wrong spelling I?m sure but this is how it sounded, ith-e-all). It really worked well on deep splinters. You put a dab of this black tar like medicine, covered it with a bandaid and the next day the hole would look white and then you pushed around it and usually the splinter would slide out. If not it was rather easy to grab it and pull it out. I have found Drawing Suave but it never seems to work like the Itheall.
I get a lot of splinters, so if you need someone to test it out, I can bee your Guinea Pig. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 02:38:20 pm »
I?m interested to know if it works. When I was a kid, we used Itheall (wrong spelling I?m sure but this is how it sounded, ith-e-all). It really worked well on deep splinters. You put a dab of this black tar like medicine, covered it with a bandaid and the next day the hole would look white and then you pushed around it and usually the splinter would slide out. If not it was rather easy to grab it and pull it out. I have found Drawing Suave but it never seems to work like the Itheall.
I get a lot of splinters, so if you need someone to test it out, I can bee your Guinea Pig. 😊
Jim Altmiller
I'll bet, sawdustmakr!  :wink: :grin:  My sister constantly gets splinters from her goats' hay, and because they aren't wood, they aren't rigid, so they are nigh impossible to get out.  Hopefully this will help her.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 06:18:10 pm »
I?m interested to know if it works. When I was a kid, we used Itheall (wrong spelling I?m sure but this is how it sounded, ith-e-all)
Ichthammol perhaps?

Side note: just discovered 'Toggle View' preforms the same function as 'Remove Formatting' which seems to be missing here...

anything