Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New-Bee From S.Hadley Mass.  (Read 2643 times)

Offline gatekeep

• New Bee
New-Bee From S.Hadley Mass.
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:51:43 am »
Hello I just finished bee school (Hampden County) and bought/installed a 5 frame nuc. with my 14yr. old son. I sprayed the new brood boxes and frames with a mix of Honey bee health and sugar syrup. I added another deep brood box( total of 2) and also added a hive top feeder with a 5 to 3 mixture (lbs. sugar to pints water). The weather is still a bit wet & chilly but the bees are starting to bringing back pollen, I hope to get to open the hive in the next week to do my first inspection, and look for the queen.
Hope I don't screw up :roll:
Deep 10 frame hives, bee max feeder,

Offline ScituateMA

• House Bee
Re: New-Bee From S.Hadley Mass.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 11:54:52 am »
Why did you put second box ? U don't need it. The weather is still cold. U need to keep the brood wafm6. Keep the spa e small

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:24:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum, gatekeep.  It will help if you put your location.  Are you using eight or ten frame equipment.  You will want some free space, just not a lot.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:25:14 am »
Fun isn't it? Welcome to the forum.

Offline gatekeep

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 12:03:56 pm »
My nuc. that I received was boiling with activity. I was told it was OK to add another brood box? I have 10 frame hives. They should be OK its getting warmer.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 01:06:09 pm »
When you install a nuc into a hive, you are placing 5 frames into a 10 frame box, usually. That leaves 5 empty frames. The rule of thumb it to wait until the bees have drawn out 8 frames before you add the super. From experience, if you add it too soon, they will often build up and not out. Leaving 4 empty frames.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gatekeep

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:16:00 pm »
When you install a nuc into a hive, you are placing 5 frames into a 10 frame box, usually. That leaves 5 empty frames. The rule of thumb it to wait until the bees have drawn out 8 frames before you add the super. From experience, if you add it too soon, they will often build up and not out. Leaving 4 empty frames.
Jim
this makes sense. can I remove it or is it too late?

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 06:46:36 am »
 gatekeep ......

Hope you can make it an to this events

In my opinion one of the best FREE outing/seminars on honeybees in central
New England.
This starts about 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM
http://massbee.org/meetings/2014-field-day

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 01:45:43 pm »
Jim
this makes sense. can I remove it or is it too late?
Yes, if they started building on the top frames, switch them with the empty frames in the other box.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gatekeep

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 05:29:45 pm »
I successfully removed the top brood box😄. And I did my first comprehensive hive check. Lots of bees and wet brood but, I can't find the queen. I fed them four gal. Of food so far. It seems to be leaking out the front a bit but I checked it for leaks today and it looks ok? Its a bee max hive top feeder. 🐝
Do they spill it out the front?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 12:40:46 pm »
One of the problems with any feeder, is that when it warms up the air expands and it leaks out, when the temp is constant they do not leak. Make sure they are level, the lid on tight and out of the sun.
Jim
Ben Franklin