Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Clock  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Bee Clock
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:12:59 pm »
I've just finished a bee clock for the mates in town who've helped me with my bees.  I also sneaked some capilano honey in with their groceries at the checkout one time and they didn't realise they'd paid for it till they got home, so I had to make up for that one.

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I did use beeswax around the inlay.

[img=http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1056/beeclockweb1.th.jpg]

[img=http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8008/beeclockweb2.th.jpg]

[img=http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5630/beeclockweb3.th.jpg]

Lone

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
Re: Bee Clock
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 08:51:30 pm »
Hi Lone, Nice clock. :lol:
BTW did you mean that you put  the honey into their groceries, so you could eat it? :evil:
or was it to be a gift? :-D
... Rob

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:20:59 pm »
Nice Job Lone!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:20:02 pm »
Thanks.  Rob, Capilano is a kind of generic mixed honey from a co-op, and I put it in with their groceries as a joke when I saw them at Woolies.  When they got home their kids asked why they had capilano in the cupboard, and they thought it belonged to the next person in the queue and was mistakenly mixed with their groceries - till I 'fessed up.

By the way, I think the wood in the clock is red cedar from the Atherton Tablelands.  Someone gave me a stick of timber a little while ago.  Only one bee was hurt or maimed in the making of it.  And the inlay still ended up looking like a blowfly.

Lone

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:43:39 am »
OK Lone, Good joke.  :evil:
fyi - Capilano  is the River that serves as the main water supply for Vancouver, BC. AND
Red Cedar is a local tree here, The natives use it for Totem Poles and Masks etc.
AND I am building my first TBH out of it.
Have you used Red Gum Tree for art-crafts?
 I saw some tables that were very beautiful from  Red Gum, Very expensive too!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:14:46 am »
Nice idea that clock. I always admired that sort of woodworking.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:43:43 pm »
You did a great job Lone Not only can she carve she can sing and play a fiddle and a banjo what is next Lone :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 07:13:26 am »
Rob,  there was a lot of timber come down in that area from Cyclone Larry a couple of years ago.  One tree, they said the timber was worth a million dollars, but it would have been too difficult to access.  The tablelands are very interesting, hilly, rainforest, and very productive.  I can't imagine there is anything that won't grow there.  There is a lot of dairy cattle and farm produce, and they have odd animals like kangaroos that live in trees, and cassowaries.  There are some nice crater lakes, and big waterfalls, and enormous fig trees you can walk inside.  There is a kind of rainforest silky oak there too.  It has a nice wood.   I have seen much river red gum go to waste, too.  I don't think it grows much in this area, but it is common further south.  We planted two trees here, but they are only a foot high.  I think there is a forest red gum too.  They tell me that gums tend to split, so I haven't tried using them.  I experiment with other woods on the property and make lagerphones and things.  I haven't done much carving before, the carving set is new.  Please show us your tbh's when you've made them.

Irwin, maybe I will become an elephant trainer.

Lone

anything