Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Redbugs! Arrrrrrrrrrgghhh!!!  (Read 32709 times)

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
Re: Redbugs! Arrrrrrrrrrgghhh!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 08:27:40 am »
Chiggers are the worst ever.  My family was at my parents place and we got into an area with them.  The saddest was my toddler children.  They were torchered by them. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 08:40:46 am »
Matt, I can't imagine kids having these things, it would drive them absolutely crazy.

This is the worst case I've ever had, hands down, as for as multitudes of bites, my legs are covered as well as my waist area and some on my arms.

Haven't called about the apiguard yet will try and do so today.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 09:42:43 am »
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question488.htm

Interesting information.....my mom always gets chigger bites when we go camping, but I've never had any.
Rick

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 10:58:12 am »
JP
Yes, it is hard to tell a 3 year old to stop itching so much that they start bleeding.  That was an odd year if I recall with the weather being just right for them to multiply. 

They seem to be attracted to the areas that are tight against the skin like sock lines, underwear edges, waist lines, etc.  I had them in the crotch area in addition to other areas and boy oh boy they were no fun.

Thanks on the apiguard, no rush.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 11:03:52 am »
Now I see why Bud doesn't get bothered by chiggers, he's practically naked everyday except for the blue jean shorts!

Thanks for the info Rick.

Will let you know soon about the apiguard Matt.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 12:21:30 pm »
i wonder if head lice shampoo would kill the suckers  i always thought they went under the skin.  thanks for the article.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 12:26:52 pm »
I may have to stop reading this post because I start itching every time I read it.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 12:53:40 pm »
JP, well bust ma britches, sorry, but I couldn't help but have that hearty laugh when I heard your story, feel kind of sorry for ya (well, sort of, not really, but sort of)  :evil:.

I have to say that chiggers sounds something like what I know as scabies.  Been in contact with that a couple of times here, having had some particular people come to stay at my house.  Scabies is a mite that lives below the surface of the skin, surfacing to feed on the dead skin cells and then going back under the skin (probably to finish off their above-surface meal).  The way to rid scabies sounds very similar to that of chiggers.  Smothering the dudes, like putting something all over the skin so that they can't surface.  I looked in my health book many years ago to see what they look like and man, oh man, are they ever ugileeeeeee!!!!  Anyways, the itching from the scabies mite, even after they are smothered carries on for a couple of weeks.  We had a child that had them and had been treated for excema for about 6 months before he came to our home.  I thought that rather weird.  When his itching continued on for a couple of weeks and we became itchy too, I took him to the doctor to see what was up.  This doctor said that he had been diagnosed, it was not excema, but scabies.  Nasty stuff.  Good luck with the chiggeradoo.  Have a great, most wonderful day, to love and live, health.  Cindi

here's a link to a picture of what this particular hideous little thingy looks like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline chiggerbait

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 02:40:01 pm »
As you can see from my name I have a little experience with the b------s.  The only thing you can do is prevention, the best I have found and believe me I've tried everything is 'Skin So Soft' which is a Avon product.  After you have been bitten Benydaryl lotion works or just apply roll-on deorderant to the bite.

Luck,
Chiggerbait

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 06:30:57 pm »
Cindi, I have heard of scabies before, usually its old people (like you, sort of, not really, well sort of! :evil: :-D) that get it, usually in hospitals.

Chiggerbait, they must really go for you! :-D

Still itching! And a scratchin'! :shock:

...JP

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 02:52:07 am »
Salt in the bath sounded like it might work. Chlorox in the bath may help. Maybe hydrogen peroxide might be worth a try. maybe smear honey on the spots, that may work too. I know nothing, so just chatting away with random thoughts.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 08:17:20 am »
Salt in the bath sounded like it might work. Chlorox in the bath may help. Maybe hydrogen peroxide might be worth a try. maybe smear honey on the spots, that may work too. I know nothing, so just chatting away with random thoughts.

Around here, if you smear honey on the spots, the ants will eat you alive! Redbugs.........Ants...........the lesser of two evels?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 08:25:11 am »
This is without a doubt the worst case of redbugs I've ever had! Broke down and bought some Caladryl last night. My wife said they were all over me and I still itch.

Bud said to take a bath with chlorox but that seemed a little scary to me at the time, perhaps that is the ticket. Will have to ask him how much chlorox?

...JP :needhelp:

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 09:22:14 am »

Bud said to take a bath with chlorox but that seemed a little scary to me at the time, perhaps that is the ticket. Will have to ask him how much chlorox?

...JP :needhelp:

If you just take a bath in straight chlorox, it is guaranteed to stop the itching.
Rick

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 10:20:58 am »
Straight Clorox might be a bit strong. I'm sure it would get rid of the chiggers, but the side effect could be worse. Diluted down a bit will work too - a cup or so in a bath. I've also had good luck with acetone (not on the REAL sensitive places though) - also known as fingernail polish remover.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:38 pm »
Taking a bath in total bleach can't be all that good, think I'll pass. The caladryl didn't do all that much, except fill the puffed up spots with caladryl lotion, which made them even bigger. When I scratched them, caladryl came out, still a little itchy.

...JP

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 01:33:16 pm »
Taking a bath in total bleach can't be all that good, think I'll pass.

Good, hope nobody took me too seriously, you wouldn't notice the itching because your skin would be gone (not to mention nasal cavities)!! :evil:
Rick

Offline greenismycolor

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 12:38:21 am »
JP
The bleach will work. chiggers are a complete terror. Put the bleach in a spray bottle or on a cotton ball and put it directly on the bite. They might still itch a bit, but it will kill the bug, and it shouldn't hurt your uninfected skin.
sorry for you i know how it feels
green
Believe!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 12:40:50 am »
Thanks green.

...JP

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 11:31:19 am »
you better hope PETA aint reading this post, they will get you for killing the red bugs, get him red bugs   :evil: being a Louisiana boy I would figure you was use to them by now, I aint had none since moving to Ga. I miss them  :-*  ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic