Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: painters coveralls  (Read 6882 times)

Offline kattz

• New Bee
painters coveralls
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:29:13 am »
Newbee (newbie) question: Will the disposable painters coveralls work for beekeeping or will bees sting thru it. I don’t want to find out the hard way   :?

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: painters coveralls
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:34:21 am »
As per this thread, http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=13876.0 it would seem that some people do use them.  I've had stings go through a regular bee suit, so I would suspect they could also go through one of these disposable ones.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:18:50 am »
The cheap tyvek coveralls that brushy mountain sells they tout as stingproof. I have one and have yet to be stung through it but they are hot as blazez. The standard white painters coveralls that I am familiar with are just thin cotton

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:34:21 am »
the tyvek ones i think are stingproof. they are very slippery and bees don't like to be on them. but they will make you sweat real good. Make sure you get the ones with elastic on the ends of the sleeves.

Offline kattz

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 11:55:07 am »
I have heard that the tyvek will work, but I sure don't want to find out when I'm in the middle of a bunch of bees. I'm still shopping for one, I  just can't decide on what? Like most people I'm trying to get only what I need for the least amount of $$.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:33:49 pm »
I have some tyvek ones that I picked up off a clearance rack for a couple bucks. I only wear one when the girls are particularly grouchy (e.g., during a dearth). They work very well, but as others have said, they are HOT!

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 05:22:36 pm »
I have heard that the tyvek will work, but I sure don't want to find out when I'm in the middle of a bunch of bees. I'm still shopping for one, I  just can't decide on what? Like most people I'm trying to get only what I need for the least amount of $$.

being stung by bees comes with the territory. Irrespective of the suit you wear you will be stung, i wouldn't think about it unless you are allergic to the venom. There are pictures of folks with their temporary badges of honour. get and wear yours with pride :-D

Offline hellbenthoneybee

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:45:44 pm »
Whats a dearth?

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 08:29:21 pm »
Whats a dearth?
A dry or draught period with little or no nectar available.

Offline hellbenthoneybee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:33:54 pm »
Do the bees get testier when they are hungry?  Kinda like us?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:37:34 pm »
i have found them to be testy when its not spring.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:39:24 pm »
My first year, I used disposable paper like coveralls. They were cheap, lasted most of the summer and protected me very well.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hellbenthoneybee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 08:40:30 pm »
Can you do bee stuff without wearing a suit?  Being calm and all?  Or will I probably get the bleep stung out of me?!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 08:45:40 pm »
when theres a good nectar flow you can get away with it but you will find out the hard way when there isn't a flow

Offline hellbenthoneybee

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 08:51:22 pm »
So when they're fat and happy they're good natured.  Nectar flow would be when there is plenty of food for them to gather, good weather and flowering plants-a-plenty?

Offline CapeCod

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 09:04:14 pm »
I am also new to the hobby and only plan to wear a veil and light colored clothes.
I have been stung several times on the job and do not fear sting reactions.
Would it be wise to let one of the girls to sting you so you know how to react if stung again.
Meaning you could gage your clothing / equipment from there.
And would it not be wise to consult your doctor to see if you are in fact alergic to bee stings before you begin .
It would also put you at ease around the girls.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 10:53:09 pm »
So when they're fat and happy they're good natured.  Nectar flow would be when there is plenty of food for them to gather, good weather and flowering plants-a-plenty?

Some general guidelines on inspecting hives.
1. Do not wear perfumes, toilet water, or other substances that have odors, the more pungent the nastier the bees get.
2. Don not drink Coffee, Alcohol, chew tabaccy, imbibe any beverage that contains caffiene (soft and sports drinks).
3. Move with slow deliberate motions, haste is the enemy of a beekeeper, develop BEE ZEN--AAaauuuuhhmmmm!
4. The warmer, clearer the weather the more docile the bees will be because most foragers will be out working.
5.  The stronger the flow the more docile the hive--see #4.
6. An active hive us usually too busy to worry about the small stuff--see #4.
7. Crushing a flower in your hands or using something like talc to cover your own odor helps keep stings away.
8. Always wear a veil, gloves are optional and clumsy, latex of nytral gloves leave more dexterity.
9. If stung remove the stinger with the blade of the hive tool, don't pull it out with your fingers as this just squeezes more venom under your skin.
10. Spend several hours learning how to keep you smoker lit before you actually have to use it.

Good Luck and Have Fun.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 12:22:26 am »
I read somewhere that the stinger depletes its venom in about 20 seconds. I don't usually get it out with in that time so I guess it doesn't matter how I do it. Scrape or pinch.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 02:10:41 am »
Just curious about the nitrile & latex gloves...have you found they make it more difficult for the stinger to enter the skin?

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 03:11:15 am »
   I've tried the tyvek suit, works great, and it's what my children use when it's not too hot out.  I go barehanded and as Brian said no stinky stuff.  I use either Ivory bar soap and baby shampoo (both minimum scented) or I use Scent-Lok soap and shampoo.  Since I use these daily, the former is used the most, I know when I've used any odor stuff since when I walk back and forth in front of the hives they let me know the smell is not appreciated.  A lot of buzzing around me.  Slow movements, though I've been taught this, I have learned are essential.

Also keeping my dog off the hives helps with their disposition.  If only she would just sleep and not 'dance' on top of them all would be well.

I don't think it is so much stopping the stinger as are the bees able to get a hold to sting you much less land on the gloves. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:24:43 am by qa33010 »
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)