Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bald brood?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Bald brood?
« on: June 06, 2019, 11:22:39 am »
I have a strong hive, double 8 frame deep. I have been noticing uncapped but developed white larvae in some of the cells. Maybe 8 or 10 per frame at most. Not in a straight line, just here and there. I went into that hive yesterday and the queen was on the inner cover. That may or may not have anything to do with things, I've just never seen her up there before although im sure it does happen. Shes a good young queen with a nice laying pattern. Do I have anything to worry about?
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Bald brood?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 11:49:16 am »
These are two different things.  Queens wander around all parts of the hive from time to time, but she spends most of her time in the brood nest.  I once removed a miller feeder from a hive and set it aside.  After working a couple of other hives I noticed a growing cluster of bees on the feeder.  It turns out the queen was clinging to the feeder when I removed it.  Why?  Who knows.  But queens wander all over the hive partly to leave her tarsal pheromones on the combs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 12:00:57 pm »
What are your thoughts on the bald brood? I'm hoping just some hygienic behavior. 
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 01:17:21 pm »
Bald headed brood is hygienic behavior.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin