Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: # of hives per apiary  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Rosco

• New Bee
# of hives per apiary
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:35:01 pm »
I know there are many variables but typically how many hives can one apiary support? There's no agriculture within 5 miles. There's mostly hardwood trees around plus some open fields with Goldenrod and a few other wild flowers.
Thanks for your input.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: # of hives per apiary
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:51:14 pm »
Being hopelessly lost don't give me much to go on as to try to determine what kind of nectar producing plants/trees is in the area. I could have 25 where I am. No other beekeeper closer than about 15 miles. I have nothing but forest and some patches of open areas. But right now my biggest flow in on. Tulip Poplar and black berries. But then from the Last of June till the first of September If I took all their honey in mid June and didn't feed they would starve.
Hopefully find yourself. :)doak

Offline Rosco

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:59:55 pm »
Doak, sorry about that but I just signed up and have to figure out how to list my location. I'm in southern Oh.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:56:13 am »
If you plan on having anything under 25 you should be good to go, if you have any kind of good trees around. Tulip Poplar, Honey locust, Mimosa, Magnolia, Black gum/Tupi lo, We have Kudzu here in Ga. Don't know how far north that stuff grows.
You can also plant some things, clover, buck wheat,.melons cucumber, squash.
Getting to know what is in your area and its bloom time becomes second nature when you start keeping bees.doak

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:39:08 am »
 I am from Southern Ohio also. I try to keep my hive numbers per location to 10 or less. One of the main things that I have to factor in is how much will be there once the locust and blackberry flow has ended. Lets hope that we don't have another drought like we have has in the last couple of years. Where are you located in Southern Ohio? Good luck in your choice.
                                           Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline Rosco

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:03:31 am »
Marc
Sent you a PM.
Doak,
I think the only thing we have that you mentioned is the locust. We don't have the kuzu yet either. It stops in TN.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:18:30 am by Rosco »

anything