Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No room for brood  (Read 1618 times)

Offline beefie

• New Bee
No room for brood
« on: May 19, 2007, 09:08:31 pm »
Not sure what to do with my hives...have about 50 and due to heaps of swarming in early summer many of them have filled brood boxes with honey leaving only 1 box or less for brood. Can't extract this honey for human consumption as it has been tainted with varroa treatment. It's now early winter and I know I will have to do something before spring. I'm definently going to requeen but also need to make more space for brood. Also many of the brood frames are really old with very dark wax so I'll need to replace some of them too. I'm hoping bees will use quite a bit of honey over winter but so far winter has been mild and even if it gets colder I don't think they'll get through it all. Any help would be really appreciated.   :)
Perseverance pays off.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: No room for brood
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 10:19:37 pm »
were do you live?
kirko
update your profile please
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 12:08:56 am »
Here is what i would do:   1. add another box above the brood and move the box with honey surplus on top.

or

2. you can pull a few honey frames and take them away from the bee yard a ways and let them rob it out, not so bad that they tear up the comb and then return that to the brood box and move the old comb that you want to trade out to the top box.

Just my 2cents

Offline beefie

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:23:27 am »
Thanks for your 2cents worth - I like robbing option.
Perseverance pays off.