Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: getting bees out of super  (Read 4141 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
getting bees out of super
« on: May 19, 2007, 08:42:52 pm »
When harvesting honey, I just wanted to hear some input on some different ways to get the bees out of the super. Right now I am using the fume board. Like to hear some different ways and how they work.
 :)doak

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: getting bees out of super
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 08:48:14 pm »
bee brush
leaf blower
escape board
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 08:56:48 pm »
propane torch

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 08:57:45 pm »
just kiddin, don't worry :-D
only a bee-brush or a feather-brush,a regular brush is somewhat rough

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 11:16:51 pm »
When I did this in the past, I used an bee escape above the excluder, gave it 3 days, and had no bees in there. I've come to understand that the fume boards work in a few hours, so depending on how much of a rush it is, and you don't overdo the scent (driving the bees out of the whole hive), the fume board could be more ideal.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 12:11:18 am »
myself and my mentor use fume boards.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 12:46:52 am »
i liked the fume board.  i pulled the honey supers off first and set them with a cover, next to  hive on extra super and BB.  it only took a few min. and bees exited the bottom and went back home.  i learned that it takes very little stuff on the fume board to make them leave.  to much seems to make them move slower. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 01:17:11 am »
I use a fume board which seems to get 80% of them out and then I take one frame out at a time & brush the rest off.  I have tried escapes & blower, but didn't like either as well.

KathyP: your quote is fantastic!  I believe that strongly.  It should be part of the swearing in ceremony for all political office holders.  Where does it come from?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 01:33:23 am »
I take the hive body off, and then tap against a pair of upright 2x4s next to the hive. I brush off the rest.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 01:44:03 am »
Thanks all.
Kathyp, I havent thought about taking the super off like you said. It doesn't take long the way I was doing, but I always have a doz. or so left inside.

I have to be careful, My Wife is "HOSPITAL" responsive to any kind of insect sting.
I have to watch when I start extracting. Slung out one and1/2  5 gal. bucket tonight.
doak

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 07:57:12 am »
I lean them against the side of the hive and use the leaf blower.  If they are really packed with bees you may have to pull a few frames to blow them out.  No nasty fumes for my honey :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 12:15:52 pm »
heaflaw,

it comes from the "wheel of time" series of books written by Robert Jordan.  an absolutely fantastic fantasy/adventure/legend, type of story.  currently 12 book long if you count the prequel.  one more to go.  it's on CD as well, which is good because they are very long books  :-).

in fiction, for the type of story, i have not been so taken with a series since i was a little kid and picked up my first wizard of oz book. 

SOT series is good too.

doak, i still end up with a few.  i just found that this worked a little faster and didn't disturb the entire hive.  i ended up with fewer bees pee'd off.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:13:20 pm by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 07:30:33 pm »
Abandonment method.
Triangular escape.
Brushing them off the combs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 08:54:00 pm »
I only have a couple of hives, but I take an empty super out to the hives and set it on a sheet.  I take the super which I am robbing and take one frame off, stand in front of the hive and give it a vigorous shake - most bees fall off on the landing.  Then I take the bee brush and vigorously brush the rest off of the frame and when it is bee-free, I put it in the empty super and cover with a sheet.  Then I move to the next frame.  The whole thing takes only a few minutes.

When all the frames are in the super, it is then covered with the sheet on all sides and I can take it in to the house without gathering bees as I go.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 09:17:47 pm »
I use the one way escape with the inner tops.  I only have a few hives and the few extra days of waiting will the bees move down is no problem.  If I had more bees I might be moreinterested in using a fume board or some other method of clearing the hives from the supers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 10:00:36 pm »
Didn't someone show a picture where they took the supers off the hives and stood them on the sides?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 10:05:43 pm »
I think standing them on the sides is for the blower.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 10:32:09 pm »
>I think standing them on the sides is for the blower.

It also works with the abandonment method.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 10:50:52 pm »
Michael,  I just did an "advanced search" for abandonment method on your site and it didn't come up.  Can you describe what that method is?

OOps - I just searched this site instead of bushfarms and found that what you mean is something you described on this site last year - taking the super off at dusk and leaving it behind the hive until dark and then moving it into the house - few stragglers because since the super was "abandoned" most if not all of the bees will have returned to the hive.

Thanks anyway,

Linda T

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 08:07:18 am »
>taking the super off at dusk and leaving it behind the hive until dark and then moving it into the house

That's it.
-------------------

anything