Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slatted bottomboards  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Slatted bottomboards
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 10:35:31 am »
Rob, the design that you gave the site for shows the boards going crossways across hive, I thought that they ran lengthwise.

Brian, do you have any plans for the slatted bottomboard that you designed?   I still don't get it.  Does it matter where the dowelling is situated on the end of the frame that it attaches to?  I mean, like 1/2 inch from the top, middle, lower 1/2 inch.  Does this make sense to you, my request for instruction?I am the kind of person that requires indepth instructions, or pictures, I learn in strange ways and things must be taught differently to me.  Once I learn, I never forget. 

I think another concept problem I have is:  it is indicated to have the doweling right below a frame.  I know that in my hives the frames move either way a tiny distance.  If I push all the frames to one end, there is a gap of at least 1/2 inch.  HOw can it be assured that the frames will sit directly above a dowel.  Still rather confused.  Have a wonderful day, great life, and good health wishes to all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 11:03:11 am »
Rob, the design that you gave the site for shows the boards going crossways across hive, I thought that they ran lengthwise.

The original design as used by CC Miller and Killion had them going crossways as the plans show.  Putting the slats inline with the frames is a recent change in an attempt to allow varroa to fall thru.  Since I use them on solid bottom boards, it doesn't matter to me.   And as you stated, with frame movement,  it is hard to guarantee the slats remain under the frames and do not end up between the frames and catching all the mites.  Personally, I don't believe enough varroa reduction is achieved by "dropping mites" anyway.    It all depends on what you want to achieve as to how you build them.  There are pros and cons of each design and beekeepers adamant about each as well.  So it comes down to what makes you feel good. :-P
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline shakerbeeman

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 11:09:19 am »
I built two last night. Hope they are right. I plan to have top entries so eliminated the 4" flat coming in. Mine are slatted the whole way. I made 1" wide x 3/4" deep sticks which I then routed the top two edges to give a 1/2 round. This side up I installed in a slot approx 1/4" down from the top edge of my 2" frame. To the bottom of this frame I installed #8 wire screen and held it secure with wood cleats. These cleats are 3/4" thick on two long sides and one end. The other end has a 3/8" cleat to allow for air space as my hives sit on plywood. I can also slide a paper or tray in there to check the mites when necessary. I may make two more without the air space on the bottom to put in at the top later as Brian indicates he feels this helpfull.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 11:36:39 am »
I made 1" wide x 3/4" deep sticks which I then routed the top two edges to give a 1/2 round.

Sounds like a cheaper alternative than buying dowels. :-D   I guess you could even cut the corners off at a 45 if one didn't have a router and make them with a point facing up.

I may make two more without the air space on the bottom to put in at the top later

I tried a mid-entrance last year that worked fairly well. It gave them room to hang out,  but also acted as a buffer that prevented the queen from laying in the honey supers.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=6865.msg55144#msg55144
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 05:58:54 pm »
Shakerbeeman,

It sounds if your design should work fine.  Using the bottom side of the rack as s varroa screen should be fine also, especially if you're still using solid bottom boards.  When you use the racks as queen excluders it helps if there is that band og honey across the top of the brood frames.  Between the honey arc and the rack the space is great enough that the queen will usually not cross up into the supers, providing you have given you queen sufficient brood space.  That is why I use 3-4 mediums as my brood chamber.  It gives me lots of brood rearing space to produce a strong hive and once the hive is well established (2nd year) the honey production is awesome when good forage areas are available.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 12:23:56 pm »
Hmmm..wish I had taken woodworking in high school.  The good it would have done me now was something I never thought in my younger days.  I bet Linda in Atlanta is onto building some slatted bottomboards.  She really is getting good at designing and building stuff, yeah!!!  Best of a beautiful day, great life, great health wishes to us all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 02:03:18 pm »
Cindi, You just need a good tape measure, a sharp pencil and plenty of wood. I have never been much good at building stuff and my 1st attempt at anything is normally more funny than practical.. but, I keep going at it and by the 3rd attempt I have the design I want and a method I can use.  Part of my problem at the moment is that I do not have a table saw, which is an absolute must for someone like me.. once I resolve that issue on Fathers day :)  then I plan to start building all my own covers, SR's, NUC's etc..

Next year I plan a rapid growth in my bee yard and it will save me a load of money to be able to build my own items.. 

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe..  :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 02:53:36 am »
My dear old Uncle, who has long left this world, always told me, and I will never forget, he was my world to me to measure twice, and cut once.  This advice I have never forgotten.  Have a wonderful day, great day, great health wishes to all.  Cindi

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 11:21:08 am »
I have modified that ( to the eternal frustration of my clients)   in my own work to "measure 4 or 5 times and cut once". And I still make mistakes.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 11:56:17 am »
I've cut it twice and it is still too short! :shock:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 12:14:12 pm »
This is kindof off topic, but I have to say something.  I am horrible about woodworking of any sort.  I remember in my early 20s I built a barn for my goats.  My girlfriend and I built it.  Oh man, what a mess.  It was more of a shed, but I honestly have no clue to this day how it stood up, but it housed my two Nubians and then went on to be home to some pigs for my brother when I moved out and he and his family moved in.  It was really a kind of dangerous structure, when I look back on time, but in those days I was most reckless and it didn't matter.  I don't think I measured more than once and certainly cut probably more than once.  Oh, those crazy days of youth.  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health to all.  Cindi