Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Today I Made  (Read 25071 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Today I Made
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2024, 03:18:31 am »
I started putting together the first stages of the trap. I decided to go with 7 escapes I order to make stapling a bit easier. The base of the trap will have bee space included. End grain of plywood will be set into a trench or a rebate where possible. I can?t really attempt anything else until my pollen trap strips arrive so that spacing can be calculated. The size of the pollen drawer will be determined after the bottom mesh layer is installed. Components are only screwed together at this stage.

Les do you have this build on your YouTube channel?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2024, 06:32:21 am »
Hi Phillip

No I don?t. Over the winter I may put up a few bee related videos when I have more time. This may be one of them. I?m also thinking of a few videos related to turned wooden lids and some of the engraving projects that I have experimented with. Preparation for markets, fishing and prospecting burn up quite a bit of time.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #202 on: March 21, 2024, 08:51:05 am »
Thanks Les, I look forward to more of your videos..

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2024, 01:50:33 am »
I have been using the laser engraver for a few months now and finally got round to making a work bench to hold it. Just got tired of setting up a fold out table and connecting up all the cables every time it needed to be used. Decided that it had to be dust proof as it would live in the workshop. The dust cover/ extraction unit protects the engraver and all other components live in the cupboard below the unit. The table is on casters and a slide out laptop shelf solves all storage issues. Just completed a test run on a series of turned lids that needed a bee image engraved into the surface. Everything worked as it should and will now save time in the long run.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2024, 01:18:23 am »
Finally found some quiet time to get onto the laser and produce a jig for engraving business cards. With the artwork done and the file created, it?s now just a simple matter of positioning the aluminium blanks into the jig and starting the engraver. It is quite a slow operation to cut 12 cards but I?m always doing something else during the engraving process.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2024, 08:27:53 pm »
Nice!

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #206 on: April 07, 2024, 08:09:25 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just uploaded a YouTube clip on how I make the wooden lids for my honey jars. It?s all visual with no narration due to the noise of the machinery. Hope you can get something from it.

Cheers

Les

https://youtu.be/H-1MnQE-52Y?si=xnz-RpeIzcMW1Buz

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #207 on: April 07, 2024, 09:33:26 pm »
I just watched your video Les, all of it! I can?t complement you enough. Those lids look outstanding.  If I had the equipment I would do it  too!  I don?t see how anyone at the markets can compete with you. 

Phillip

PS
I also hit the like button.

Offline tigger19687

• New Bee
« Reply #208 on: April 09, 2024, 06:23:12 pm »
Just whipped up (Farm Girl Style) 2 Long Lang hives from 1/2" ply.  Cut all bits on circular saw and then smaller things on the small table saw.  Screws, long staples, drill.
Then 2" foam all around (not bottom).
Drill battery died so had to stop for coffee.  Then back out to do a few holes for bottom verts. 
Sorry no pics yet.  They are nothing fancy but it kept me busy today on a nice almost 70?F out !

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2024, 08:27:26 am »
Thumbs Up!

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2024, 07:24:46 pm »
After jarring up some honey, I had to make quite a few swing tag labels. Decided to maker a permanent jig for holding the printed labels sheets in place while the laser cutter drilled the tag holes and cut individual labels out. Used some thick cardboard for the template and used the laser to cut both the locking tabs and the A4 cutout. This jig can now be slipped accurately into place when ever needed. It will be a time saver for cutting out the labels. Every cut is clean and precise. It takes 45 seconds for the machine to drill the holes and cut out 12 labels.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2024, 08:55:59 pm »
Les I think you got me hooked on the laser engraver.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2024, 09:15:27 am »
Les,
I have been looking at engravers for a while now. Which one do you have?
Jim Altmiller

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2024, 05:31:26 pm »
Hi Jim,

I ended up getting the Creality Falcon 2. It?s a 22w machine. Cuts through 12mm pine quite well. There is also a 40w machine available but it is quite a bit more to buy. I?m happy with this laser for what I do.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #214 on: Today at 12:02:02 pm »
I just looked it up, $809. Where do you have it setup at? I have been watching reviews of all types of lasers and two things that they point out are getting rid of the fumes and high chance of fire. How is this one?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin