Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees on flowers  (Read 4436 times)

Offline beelife

• New Bee
    • BeeLife
Bees on flowers
« on: March 02, 2024, 12:28:19 pm »
Scilla bifolia.

It's very common in Eastern Europe and has a very nice dark blue pollen.
The image is shoot today.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Re: Bees on flowers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 12:46:16 pm »
Nice! Does that make blue honey?

Offline beelife

• New Bee
    • BeeLife
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 02:33:53 pm »
Probably not.  :smile:
I don't think a natural honey can be blue.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 02:58:44 pm »
Beautiful!  I bet it's fun to see that blue pollen in the cells though!  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beelife

• New Bee
    • BeeLife
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 01:18:59 pm »
Yes, the pollen looks very nice in the cells.
Unfortunately I didn't shoot any photo of it.
Maybe next year.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 01:51:37 pm »
I hear that kudzu makes purple honey.  Back when we had a bee inspector, he said he once saw blue pollen in a hive and asked the beekeeper where he thought it was coming from.  The farmer said, you won't believe it unless you see it and took him to a barn nearby where the bees were collecting the paint off of an old tractor...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beelife

• New Bee
    • BeeLife
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 04:04:54 am »
I hear that kudzu makes purple honey.  Back when we had a bee inspector, he said he once saw blue pollen in a hive and asked the beekeeper where he thought it was coming from.  The farmer said, you won't believe it unless you see it and took him to a barn nearby where the bees were collecting the paint off of an old tractor...

Blue pollen is not something unussual. If you zoom my first picture you can see the blue pollen on the bee foot. Also, the pollen of this flower is blue.

About blue honey, I think is from grapes or berries.

In my area, when we have drought in the fall is very common to see bees on grapes, but only after a hornet cut it first.
Also, on drought, the concetration of sugar in grapes is very big and very appealing for bees.

All the best.  :smile:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 05:37:28 am »
In the South of North America we have a plant called Kudzu.  It grows so fast you can watch it grow.  It produces purple honey.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-purple-honey
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 09:26:11 am »
Kudzo, another gift from Asia. It came with good intentions but now it's out of hand.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 10:16:06 am »
We brought it over during the depression.  We were told that it was a good forage crop.  The story about how to plant it from that era was this:  Empty the shot out of a shotgun shell.  Fill it full of Kudzu seeds.  Go out at midnight so your neighbors don't see you.  Aim the shotgun at about a 45 degree angle and shoot.  Run as fast as you can back to the house so the Kudzu doesn't overtake you.
-------------------

Offline beelife

• New Bee
    • BeeLife
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 04:24:34 am »
Veronica polita
Tiny flowers, but very visited by bees.

Offline Dora

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 11:33:57 am »
:shocked: Bees put paint in their combs and "pollen" in combs is supposed to be healthy?? :rolleyes:
Starting beekeeping again in Texas Hill Country.
Aiming for natural beekeeping with
anti-biotic and chemical-free bees.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2024, 11:48:35 am »
author=Michael Bush link=topic=57194.msg527977#msg527977 date=1710422166]
We brought it over during the depression.  We were told that it was a good forage crop.  The story about how to plant it from that era was this:  Empty the shot out of a shotgun shell.  Fill it full of Kudzu seeds.  Go out at midnight so your neighbors don't see you.  Aim the shotgun at about a 45 degree angle and shoot.  Run as fast as you can back to the house so the Kudzu doesn't overtake you.

Mmmmm lol  :grin: 

But honestly, horses love it!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2024, 12:01:24 pm »
:shocked: Bees put paint in their combs and "pollen" in combs is supposed to be healthy?? :rolleyes:

If that report is accurate then there is a good chance the paint contained lead.

JP did a removal video a few years ago where he found either blue, green, or purple color, (I can't remember which color for sure). I am thinking he said the removal was close to a zoo where snow combs were discarded in the waste and he suspected the bees got the color there...
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2024, 12:30:18 pm »
author=Michael Bush link=topic=57194.msg527977#msg527977 date=1710422166]

Mmmmm lol  :grin: 

But honestly, horses love it!
I've heard that goats do too. But that would be no surprise.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2024, 01:05:41 pm »
Something like this would usually only happen if there was nothing else for the bees to collect.

I've heard that goats do too. But that would be no surprise.
Why do you say that, Terri?!  Are you one of those racial profilers who believes goats eat tin cans!!  :angry:

:cheesy:  Just kidding.  And goats do love kudzu.  :grin:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 05:37:18 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beelife

• New Bee
    • BeeLife
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2024, 05:20:16 pm »
This is the pollen from Scilla bifolia.
Looks more purple in this image, but two weeks ago was more blue. And I'm pretty sure is the same pollen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2024, 05:38:40 pm »
Oooo!  It's so pretty!  I love how a frame of different colored pollen looks like a stained glass window.  :happy:

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2024, 06:10:25 pm »
So when they eat that, do they stick to the same color or do they mix it up? I never mix jelly bean colors, I'm a purist. :cool:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2024, 07:20:12 pm »
I never mix jelly bean colors, I'm a purist. :cool:
Agreed!

So when they eat that, do they stick to the same color or do they mix it up?
I'd imagine they do, since variety in the diet is important.  Also pollen foragers put their own pollen loads away when they get home, unlike honey foragers, who pass their load off to a house bee for storage.  Does anyone know if different pollen varieties are sometimes mixed in the cells?  Or are they separated like nectar varieties?  I seem to remember something about pollen sometimes being mixed, but I'm not sure.