Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best smoker in aus  (Read 20959 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Best smoker in aus
« on: October 12, 2014, 11:54:20 pm »
Hello folks,

It's time to upgrade as the little bronze smoker my father gave me won't stay smoking long enough.  What is the best smoker available in Australia?

Lone

Offline hotdog

• New Bee
Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:51:10 am »
Hi Lone, I have a beeco smoker. Australian made and good quality. There are cheaper imports available - but I chose to buy Australian.
I am only a novice, so some of the more "seasoned" apiarists may have a different view...

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Re: Best smoker in aus
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 03:48:16 am »
Beeco

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:54:25 am »
Thanks, Hotdog.

I was made aware a little while ago that some of the cheaper smokers don't have an extra valve, or something like that.  I'm not sure how it works.  There is another larger smoker here, but I think it has the problem of only the one inlet/outlet hole and doesn't seem to ever work too well.  (My brother is a physicist and took all the brain cells before I was born so my brain has empty space in the physics department).

Looking around on the net, I've come across these smokers with an internal stove.  http://www.bobsbeekeeping.com.au/product/listProduct/id/12/page/3   Does anyone know how they work and if they are any good or better than a regular smoker?

My other trouble is my Smoker person, and I want to make things as simple as possible for him.  I have to instruct him on how to use a smoker every single time: not to blow flames or hot wind onto the bees, to smoke the bees when I need it where I am actually working and not over his shoulder out bush, to limit billows of smoke into my airways so there is a break for breathing, to smoke the opening when I lift the lid or super, to stop touching the hot smoker onto my hand, and to keep the thing going especially when working a hive with attitude.  I keep him around because.... he loves his job.    

It sounds sensible to buy a large aussie made SS smoker, so I'll look into that in the absence of a better working model.

Lone

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 03:55:13 am »
OK Anybrew, 2 votes for beeco.

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 07:29:03 am »
buy from the club lone you missed a great meeting on the island hope to see  you at the next one  Mick
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:13:11 am »
Thanks, Hotdog.

I was made aware a little while ago that some of the cheaper smokers don't have an extra valve, or something like that.  I'm not sure how it works.  There is another larger smoker here, but I think it has the problem of only the one inlet/outlet hole and doesn't seem to ever work too well.  (My brother is a physicist and took all the brain cells before I was born so my brain has empty space in the physics department).

Looking around on the net, I've come across these smokers with an internal stove.  http://www.bobsbeekeeping.com.au/product/listProduct/id/12/page/3   Does anyone know how they work and if they are any good or better than a regular smoker?

My other trouble is my Smoker person, and I want to make things as simple as possible for him.  I have to instruct him on how to use a smoker every single time: not to blow flames or hot wind onto the bees, to smoke the bees when I need it where I am actually working and not over his shoulder out bush, to limit billows of smoke into my airways so there is a break for breathing, to smoke the opening when I lift the lid or super, to stop touching the hot smoker onto my hand, and to keep the thing going especially when working a hive with attitude.  I keep him around because.... he loves his job.    

It sounds sensible to buy a large aussie made SS smoker, so I'll look into that in the absence of a better working model.

Lone
Lone,
Sounds like you are not packing your smoker tight with fuel after you get it lit. Here I use pine needles. When packed properly my smoker will burn un touched for about 5 hours. I would bet that I could pack that small smoker and have it last for at least 3 hours. When you pack it tight, the un burnt fuel acts like a cooling filter and stops any ashes and high heat from hitting your bees.
Schawee and, I think, maybe Hardwood that did a great video on this site on how to properly light a smoker. If I can find it I will post it on this site.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:18 am »
Mick,  I've got a feeling those club ones are the cheapies without that extra hole.   I was working the day before maggie island unfortunately, but I can't understand why you went ahead and held the meeting without me   :'(   I'm going to try hard to make the next one.

Jim,  I might have to go about 1500km to find a pine tree.   I'm going to get new bellows for the small smoker too and then I'll have a standby for when my smoker man gets distracted and starts chatting with someone.  My supply of hessian dwindled so recently I've been using coconut palm.  I need to cut some up.  I'd like to see that video (not sure it will help smoker man though)...

Lone

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 09:29:01 am »
Beeco all the way. High quality, Australian made and works way better than the cheap Italian one I had previously.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 11:02:51 am »
try coconut husks they work well too

and they come compressed

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 08:08:54 pm »
If we are talking fuel as well I use sugar cane mulch with bits of torn up egg carton to get it started.  :-D

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 02:20:33 am »
I'm not sure on brands, but for buying one, I'd definitely recommend a large one.

I've occasionally worked with an assistant to work the smoker, and I ask them to just keep it going properly. Then I point and show them where and when to smoke. Too much smoke can really upset things and get everyone stung  :-D

I like to put green grass in once the smoker is going well - makes for a nice cool smoke.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 02:27:41 am »
GREEN GRASS??  You have GREEN GRASS there??!!   :tumbleweed:

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 02:34:11 am »
Haha. Most of my beekeeping experience was in the Northern Rivers, NSW. Gets some of the highest rainfall in NSW.

Pretty dry here west of Brisbane, although it rained last night.

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 07:20:54 am »
lone I went to bunnings and bought one bale of sugar cane mulch it starts easy packs down and burns for a long time and for $17 its worth it. wet is on the way you should see some green grass soon .
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 09:31:38 am »
what do they spray sugarcane with now days?

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 06:45:30 pm »
   Come and visit the COOL state Lone and I'll send you home with a smoker and a chaff bag full of pine needles to keep you going for awhile.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Rmcpb

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 07:06:18 pm »
Best smoker when the bees are crNky is the one you are puffing like mad. Seriously, I just use a cheapy ATM and it works fine but is not going to last. Will upgrade to a more sturdy one when I have to.
Cheers
Rob.

Offline Dave86

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 07:12:09 am »

I bought the imported one off  quality beekeeping supples, paid $65, then I looked on ebay and saw the same smoker for $24 with free postage from hong kong.

its a great smoker, packed tight with paperbark iv had it going for an hour in use and then It was still smoking 3 hours later and burnt all the bark out.

Would I get another one, yep, but id buy it from overseas.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 07:04:59 am »

I bought the imported one off  quality beekeeping supples, paid $65, then I looked on ebay and saw the same smoker for $24 with free postage from hong kong.

its a great smoker, packed tight with paperbark iv had it going for an hour in use and then It was still smoking 3 hours later and burnt all the bark out.

Would I get another one, yep, but id buy it from overseas.

Why go all the way to Hong Kong when you can drive up the road to Kingaroy and pick up an imported one for $28.50?
Burnett Beekeeping Supplies

Lone, I have a Beeco and I also have one of the Italian Brands from Penders and they both work okay, the Beeco is many years old and I have replaced the bellows a couple of times.

I agree re the sugar cane mulch but if I need to keep it going for a while I place a little bit of bloodwood bark in the bottom.

Kevin

Kev

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 09:36:54 am »
lone, I know you stuck on Australian, but the only smoker made is a dadant in my book. jp, shawee, and scott all use this  the biggest they make with a cage around it because that sucker will brand you.  properly packed wil work 20 hives  it stays in the back oof my truck at all times and is made of stainless  so no weather effects
to bee or not to bee

Offline OldPlop

• Brood
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 06:45:35 pm »
Been looking for the best smoker in Aus and Google kept pointing me to this thread and not much else. So I signed up to comment.

Was given a cheap Chinese smoker when I started out the hobby 8 or 9 years ago and have to admit that although built quality is a bit flimsy, they are actually really good. Anyone that says the Chinese smokers don?t burn well are not packing and lightning them correctly.

Mine still works like day one and has been used weekly. I clean a few times a year by burning out the creosote. Leather bellows is still perfect.

And that?s why I?m not a fan of the Beeco smokers that have inferior vinyl bellows which is disappointing considering the price. They are otherwise very solidly built and have a killer feature- a separate intake valve which reduces the risk of sucking out embers. Then they are missing a hook which for me is very important because I never put mine down on the ground and risk a bushfire. I hang mine in a fence. I?m not a fan of the Beeco heat shield either.

So, I?m also looking for the best smoker available but can?t find one that ticks all my boxes for my fire risk site:

1. Separate intake valve
2. Leather not synthetic bellows
3. Solid construction
4. Hanging hook
5. Hinge with pin not folded metal
6. Grate in lid to minimise embers blowing out
7. And hey, a domed lid looks nicer but I?m being picky.

Can?t find a smoker with all the above anywhere. If someone knows where to get one please let me know.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 06:53:00 pm »
Oldpop,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 06:55:34 pm »
OldPlop, glad you found us. Glad you joined regardless of your reason. I hope you find 'that smoker' which you seek...  Stick around and enjoy the forum.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Gunsmoke58A

• New Bee
  • Just a bloke with too many nerdy hobbies
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 07:23:08 pm »
Been looking for the best smoker in Aus and Google kept pointing me to this thread and not much else. So I signed up to comment.

Was given a cheap Chinese smoker when I started out the hobby 8 or 9 years ago and have to admit that although built quality is a bit flimsy, they are actually really good. Anyone that says the Chinese smokers don?t burn well are not packing and lightning them correctly.

Mine still works like day one and has been used weekly. I clean a few times a year by burning out the creosote. Leather bellows is still perfect.

And that?s why I?m not a fan of the Beeco smokers that have inferior vinyl bellows which is disappointing considering the price. They are otherwise very solidly built and have a killer feature- a separate intake valve which reduces the risk of sucking out embers. Then they are missing a hook which for me is very important because I never put mine down on the ground and risk a bushfire. I hang mine in a fence. I?m not a fan of the Beeco heat shield either.

So, I?m also looking for the best smoker available but can?t find one that ticks all my boxes for my fire risk site:

1. Separate intake valve
2. Leather not synthetic bellows
3. Solid construction
4. Hanging hook
5. Hinge with pin not folded metal
6. Grate in lid to minimise embers blowing out
7. And hey, a domed lid looks nicer but I?m being picky.

Can?t find a smoker with all the above anywhere. If someone knows where to get one please let me know.

I have a Beeco and my only misgivings are the same as yours.  No hook, not leather and the heat shield is a bit meh.  So I'll hit a local leather worker up for an upgrade on the bellows and the rest I'll fix myself as I'm a fitter and turner.  As is usually the case, nothing is perfect for you and your individual requirements until you fix it yourself!
Arte et Marte

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2022, 05:11:43 am »
I currently use a Beeco and find it works well .I also have a couple of Chinese smokers and they also produce good smoke. Funny that. They all do the job they were designed for and stay alight for quite a few hours. I do have a preference for the Beeco only due to its construction quality. If I had half a dozen hives, the Chinese smoker would be my choice due to price.

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2022, 06:32:18 pm »
Something very few people consider when purchasing foreign made smokers...

https://southburnett.com.au/news2/2022/03/15/asbestos-warning-for-beekeepers/

Offline Smoke

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2022, 07:46:37 pm »
Those ?foreign made smokers?.

I don?t think that beekeepers are dropping dead of Mesothelioma after using foreign smokers. Still don?t want one with an asbestos bellows. The issue is mostly with Chinese smokers sold on eBay. Locally sold ones now are tested for asbestos.

I am still using one I bought 10 years ago on eBay and has a genuine leather bellows. Will last me decades more.

I get cracked up when I see smokers advertised locally as made for ?Australian conditions?. What are Australian conditions?

I acquired a Beeco recently. Very sturdy. It was poorly made though and when puffed the smoke came back in my face from under the lid. I assume it?s one off defect. But I also didn?t like the lack of hook as I?m used to hanging mine, and the heat shield is rather impractical and not great. I prefer a wire cage that wraps around and that goes all the way down the sides. Also, nothing beats a genuine leather bellows and Beeco?s is some vinyl material. It was sent back and I reverted to my original one.

anything