Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Planting for the bees  (Read 1275 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Planting for the bees
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:57:27 pm »
I caught a very small swarm without a queen in early June. Funds were short, so I put some brood frames and queen cells into the hive rather than purchase a queen. Well, the new queen is finally doing her job! Quite well, actually. However, I was concerned about them having enough of a supply for winter so I planted about 400 square feet of buckwheat. I read that it provides a phenomenal amount of nectar for honey. It is normally planted in June and blooms in September. I heard that buckwheat honey is very dark and strong, but my goal for this hive is to build up its winter food supply in a hurry. I also have a lot of Liatris in my yard. This flower is a true bee and butterfly magnet!! I constantly have bumble, honey, sweat, miner, and mason bees visiting my flowerbeds, as well as several types of butterflies. I strongly recommend planting liatris if you want to attract a variety of bees to your yard. It is by far the best flower I have found. It is extremely easy to grow, and it self-seeds, too!
Alan

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: Planting for the bees
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:24:59 pm »
Liatris sounds great! Is this also known as blazing star, a thin, tall, purple, fuzzy flower? I used to have them everywhere at my old place. I'll have to get more started where I live now. Thanks for the tip!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: Planting for the bees
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:33:30 pm »
Luvin Honey,
That's the one! If you plant it from seed, it won't start blooming until its second season. If you plant established plants; voila! Instant bees!  It is a NA native prairie plant that looks great with black-eyed susans and coneflowers.
Alan

anything