BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

swarm being robbed?

<< < (2/3) > >>

BeeMaster2:
Bob,
When a swarm has multiple queens. After the bees have settled in the queens then battle it out to determine who will win the hive. Sometimes a virgin queen will exit the hive and end up under it or on the ground. They are easy to find because they usually have a handful of bees surrounding them in a ball. Not sure but they are probably balling them to dispose of them.
Jim Altmiller

Bob Wilson:
I know several members have written that big swarms can have multiple virgin queens. I figured one could be exiting, but you are saying that after a week of being housed, that issue would have already been fought?

Ben Framed:
Bob, Jims explanation is my understanding as well. How long the process of elimination takes, I for one do not know. How long does this process take is a good question. I would not think it would last a week, most likely Fast and Furious lol.  but again I do not know.

Phillip

phill:
It happened again-- at a different hive in the same apiary-- and now I'm really puzzled.

The activity that I've seen-- twice now, in different colonies-- is new to me.

? It's not as rhythmic and organized as orientation flights.
? It's not as frantic as robbing.
? It's not as sustained as a hive getting ready to swarm.

It looks KINDA like robbing, or maybe more like the early stages of a swarm. There are bees zooming around the hive, not going anywhere, but not fighting either. The bees certainly seem excited, but they're not at all aggressive. Then it gradually calms down.

This is something that I haven't seen in 10 years of keeping bees. Does it sound normal to others?

Ben Framed:
I can only guess without a video. This one sounds like a possible orientation flight.

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version