Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I open feed in a neighborhood lot?  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: How do I open feed in a neighborhood lot?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 10:51:06 pm »

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
How do I open feed in a neighborhood lot?
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 11:46:54 pm »
I've been told to open feed at least 300 feet from my hives. I'm in a 1/2 acre lot. I'll probably build up to about 8 hives. Am I just going to have to live with hive top feeders or can I open feed at about 75 feet?
Thanks.
If I may offer some guiding beekeeper principled comments on this.
- never ever, ever, open feed with neighbours. It is just bad etiquette. It is also illegal in many regions.
- you are talking starting with two nucs and maybe build up to 8.  Far far far too few hives to even consider open feeding.  The benefit of open feed comes with higher numbers, to save capital.  Do not consider open feeding unless you have minimum 25+ hives in a spot, AND there are no neighbours nor other hives around.
- invest in hive top feeders or feeder pails.  The HT feeder is superior.  The pail gets the job done.  If you use pails, place an empty box and lid over it to cover it to minimize temperature swings that can over feed (force drip) due to day-night expansion-contraction temperatures.

For your case, please buy HTs and put considerations of open feeding far behind you.

This is not discounting or discouraging the excellent info and advice above about distances etc.   It is just not applicable in your case, because you are not going to do it, alright.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2020, 07:16:31 pm »
Another thought is the need for open feed. You can overcrowd a hive with syrup in no time flat, cause a swarm, and lose bees. If you feed hive top, you can feed the bees that need it.

If a commercial guy with 800 hives needs to open feed cause most of the hives need feed, and some of them get honey bound, so what. If a guy with four hives open feeds and two or three get honey bound and abscond, that sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 07:33:06 pm »
I don't disagree with anyone here. That said, I open feed quite a bit. I just turned off a drip I've had going most of the day. I don't have neighbors to worry about. However, I have noticed one thing and it was confirmed (and better stated) by the bee inspector (in my case Lankford at WoolieBs. Don't set it up line-of-site. I had a feeder within 50-60' of several hives and the only one that ever got the brunt end was the one whose entrance could be seen from the feeder.

This may seem logical and I guess it was stupid on my part, but it worked fine up to 4 hives for several years and never had any robbing (at least noticeable). Once I got past 10 colonies there were too many wild cards and hungry mouths. I had long since moved it but Lankford said, "Make them go over something, or around something." In my case the feeder is still maybe 120' from the yard, but they are going over a chicken lot and a field of tall goldenrod.

Never heard the figure 8 and trolling around the area looking for another source. This is fascinating. Thanks!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2020, 10:05:55 pm »
>  "Make them go over something, or around something."

That falls in line with what iddee said back in August. 👍🏻

I think you could safely open feed on the opposite side of your house from the hives.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 08:41:22 am »
>  "Make them go over something, or around something."

That falls in line with what iddee said back in August. 👍🏻

I think you could safely open feed on the opposite side of your house from the hives.

Yep, I remember his comment and thinking that was even a better scenario. A lot of navigation would go into that. Thanks to both of you.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2022, 07:54:09 am »
Good video Capn. Thanks. This thread is indicative of why I value my membership here more than my hands on experience with a mentor. I could never learn this much from one person. Thanks everyone.

Agreed
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.