BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Ready to swarm or orientation flight

(1/4) > >>

ic3blue:
Hello from south coast NSW

First time beekeeper here - managed to captured our first swarm colony (11/10/21), and they are doing very well

This morning while doing routine inspection of the hive, I found so many bees buzzing at the front of the hive (video attached - not a good quality)

I wonder if some body can help me to identify this situation - is the colony ready to swarm or the young bees doing their orientation flight?

Thank you 🙏

https://youtu.be/1iO2xSSkzRg

Ben Framed:
ic3blue welcome to Beemaster!  Congratulations of your first hive! It looks like you did well capturing this swarm. Was this swarm capture a pleasant experience for you?

>  is the colony ready to swarm or the young bees doing their orientation flight?

In the video, in my opinion, they look to be in the process of an orientation flight.. Were they still hived in the evening?

ic3blue:
Hi Ben

Thank you, I really have a great joy for having this girls in our yard, from checking-up their well-being and make sure they have enough food to start building up the colony - I am well aware that nature also be able to provide more than enough for these busy bees.

The hive now is settled and I can see many of foragers bring back pollen and perhaps also ?propolis (bright orange colour) to the hive.

Can?t wait to learn on how to wintering and make a nuc

I still cannot believe that I enjoy so much for being a beekeeper

Ben Framed:

--- Quote --- I still cannot believe that I enjoy so much for being a beekeeper

--- End quote ---

:grin: Yes beekeeping is enjoyable for those of us who >get the bug<. It is always good to welcome another to our unique experience of The Honey Bee. It seems the learning experience never ceases to reveal more of its secrets. Glad you are here to share the experience of beekeeping.

Phillip

The15thMember:
Welcome to Beemaster, ic3blue!  I agree with Ben Framed, looks like orientation flight to me.  The bees are just kind of lazily drifting around the hive, not the mayhem of a swarm.  It's good to see someone new on the Australian section of the forum.  We northern hemisphere beeks rely on our southern hemisphere friends to keep us occupied throughout our winter, so keep us posted on how they are doing!  And of course feel free to ask any and all questions you may have.  :happy: 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version