Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Your Preferred Way of Feeding for Fall and Spring build-up?  (Read 1463 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
For those of you who do feed for Fall and Spring build up, what is your preferred method? I am sure there are several different ways of accomplishing this task.  I would like to hear you methods and opinions. Thanks, Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Your Preferred Way of Feeding for Fall and Spring build-up?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:40:31 pm »
This will be my first fall so I?m following.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 02:06:46 pm »
For fall, in hive, preferably top feeder.

For spring, boardman.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 03:44:58 pm »
Mason jar over inner cover.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 04:49:07 pm »
Totally Region, climate, and weather dependent.

- pollen patty, 1kg per serving.  35% ultrabee, 20% white sugar, 5% water, 10% crisco veg shortening, 30% pollen from traps.  March thru mid June.  Mid august thru october.
- syrup, 1.7:1.  Cool/cold In hive frame feeder. Cool/warm pail on top or hive top feeder. (Switching out all hive tops to pails. Warm/hot open feed barrel and straw.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 05:44:46 pm »
""Totally Region, climate, and weather dependent.""

TOTALLY TRUE

If you live in SHB territory, don't feed more than a 3 day supply of pollen sub. The SHB will devastate a hive quickly with a 5 or more day supply of pollen sub.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 11:57:46 am »
My preference would be to leave them enough stores of their own, so that they can build as they see fit. ... but I may change that approach if I move towards almond pollination, where large buildup prior to Feb is a must. Then, since my area has lots of pollen year-round and no real winter, I'd just feed 2:1 syrup.

The answer is definitely area/goal dependent.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 12:54:54 am »
Thanks folks, I have seen some folks use two gallon plastic buckets with sugar water for a quick build up i the fall. I have seen the boardman, the frame type feeder, also top feeders with sugar laid across the top of the frames, live oak posted on this last year. I have seen folks like David at Barnyard bees use a top feeder with a reservoir called a rapid feeder, Don Kuchenmeister also uses a top feeder which is enclosed in a top box compartment, also Joe May with a similar set up. There are so many choices. I am sure all have their strong points.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 09:55:57 am »
Our hive top feeder.

https://beezneedz.com/product/fdr-chtf-8/

I like both the first one and the bottom one iddee. Nice! Your British style kinda looks like Barnyard Bees rapid feeder but I think yours may hold more liquid. Really nice equipment.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:15:31 am by Ben Framed »