Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mating nuc design  (Read 3308 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Mating nuc design
« on: March 01, 2015, 01:59:25 pm »
This is a video of a design I have been working on. I think it will work well for more than just a mating nuc. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zFDilp9ztw&feature=youtu.be

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Mating nuc design
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:58:46 pm »
Looks good Rookie.
If you have a lot of rain, you may find with using a cover as a bottom board, even with the metal being sealed, it will fill with water, some from condensation, some from coming in the doors and some dripping down the box.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 04:23:18 pm »
Jim, do you think if I covered the whole board in roof cement or tar, before attaching the metal, it would keep the moisture out? I have not attached it yet, because I still don't know what material would work best for the bond between galvanized metal and wood. Maybe even letting a sealant cure before attaching, like a rubber o-ring, of sorts. If that makes sense.

I am modifying this post, because I had a new plan.

I can just slip the metal cover on when used as a cover. That will allow it to remain dry when used as a bottom, plus an added bonus, the metal should cover the entrance holes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:25:46 pm by rookie2531 »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:11:20 am »
Rookie,
I recommend you make a bottom board of solid wood with no metal under it.
I have a lid that is a few years old that is made from plywood with a galvanized steel cover. It only gets the moisture from the bees inside. I have had to remove 2 layers wood that has been falling apart. The remaining layers are spongy.
I have had to rebuild every bottom board that I made out of plywood. They only last about 2 years. By then you can put your finger through it.
You can use the plywood that is designed for cement work. It will not fail even when used as a migration lid which has no protection from the sun and rain.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 05:14:29 am »
I did not glue the ply wood to the side walls. So, when the time comes to needing replaced, I will use solid lumber. You got me thinking more about the moisture problems from the bees and the environment. I think I will drill some 2" holes in each bottom section and cover with hardware cloth. When I flip it over for use as cover, the tin will cover them. I will have a shim with a vent hole at the top and put a piece of foam board up inside when using as a top cover also. This may help keep it drier.

Thanks again for the advise Jim.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 01:04:44 pm »
No problem. Good luck.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 09:09:48 pm »
Here it is all done. I just need to paint them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBsQbD3SmUQ

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 06:41:46 am »
Looking good Rookie. Let us know how it works out. I like your feeders, especially that you JP welded them. You really do not want lead in your sugar water.
Keep us posted.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:41:51 pm »
 Thanks Jim, I will report how long they last and if they did well or not. Don't want someone making them if they do poorly.
 Another thought came to me as I was painting my woodenware today and that was to date it on the inside. I read a lot of people say that their equipment has lasted them (so many years), but as I grow, I think it will be hard for me to determine what is the age of every box.

anything