Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thoughts on This Veroa Treatment?  (Read 1497 times)

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Thoughts on This Veroa Treatment?
« on: April 01, 2024, 09:43:52 am »
I came across this method of Veroa treatment on Reddit recently and found it interesting. I do not know if it's safe to use or not so I'm looking to find out.

https://scientificbeekeeping.com/instructions-for-extended-release-oxalic-acid/

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Thoughts on This Veroa Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 09:52:18 am »
I have not seen this exact method.. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 09:53:09 am »
I have not seen this exact method..
It looks interesting and effective. But is is legal to use with honey supers in place?

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 10:55:20 am »
Technically this isn't legal at all, since as Mr. Oliver mentioned in his disclaimer, it's not approved by the EPA.  I think this is very interesting.  It's basically making a delivery method for oxalic that is similar to FormicPro.  I'll definitely be reading through this article when I have a chance.  I love Randy Oliver's blog; I've learned a lot from it.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 11:09:13 am »
Extended release oxalic acid is legal if you use Varroxsan.  I don't care for the cardboard strips because bees have a tendency to carve out the comb around them.  I use the swedish sponge method, it works good but you have to put them in early to help maintain a low mite count.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 11:32:24 am »
I've never heard of Varroxsan, I'll take a look at it.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 02:54:28 pm »
Randy Oliver has contributed much to the honey bee 🐝 world.  He has been researching different types of Varroa Destructor control methods for years. His work was a chief  influence along with others when I responded on the Tooic: >OAV Too Hot<  started by: ParksMtnApiary  4 years ago.

Phillip
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:24:07 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 03:30:15 pm »
Randy Oliver has contributed much to the honey bee 🐝 world.  He has been researching different types of Varroa Destructor control methods for years. His work was a chief  influence along with others when I responded on the Tooic: >OAV Too Hot<  started by: ParksMtnApiary  4 years ago.

Phillip

Though the whole Beemaster discussion is worth reading for those who wish to learn more about OAV and its different states and properties. The meat and potatoes of that discussion really kicked in at post 36 in my opinion which can be found in the link below.
We were fortunate to have had a major World renowned published researcher; Van from Arkansas; Two chemist, Babbees and JohnO, and a third chemist which was soon to weigh in, Little John from England, each contributing directly or indirectly.

Post 36 Topic: OAV too Hot
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=53208.msg480325#msg480325
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:32:08 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 05:53:56 am »
I took a few college chemistry classes myself... 16 semester hours worth.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 12:45:02 am »
"And after all that, effectiveness has very little to do with temperature and a lot more to do with dosage.

https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/entnemdept/2021/12/09/research-update-determining-the-dose-of-oxalic-acid-applied-via-vaporization-needed-for-the-control-of-the-honey-bee-apis-mellifera-pest-varroa-destructor/"

Thanks for posting that link Beesnweeds. I also agree with dosage, as well as when to administer that dosage, (but also along with heat ).
In fact Dr Cameron Jack, the main fellow in your report, (and there were some heavy hitters listed on the bottom of that report), had already let me in on that information, months before your article came into print and was made public by the University of Florida..  In fact I posted the very reveling letter which he wrote to me, and with his permission I posted it here at Beemaster for the benefit of you all here...

Varroa checks
Mark I had this basic discussion with Cameron Jack, related to his thoughts of 4 g instead of 1 or 2, as discussed here in in the first part of your video. I got in touch with him after several of us here at Beemaster were having a discussion, some time ago, on the topic: "OAV too hot?"

After watching  part 2, the video that you posted, studying his chart, I am sustained in my confidence that Coolbees is on target with his 3 day / 9 treatment program.

We shall in time, see about the OAV strips mentioned here as the study progresses? I hope they work!

Beesnweeds if you recall, you and I have discussed dosage some time back but I appreciate your posting for the benefit of our new members as well as our friends in Australia as they are at ground zero concerning Varroa Destructor.
Back before it was widely know that the approved 1 gram was not effective enough.  I shared with 'you all' here the private correspondence between Dr//Researcher Cameron Jack (with his permission of course) not of just of the 2 grams that you mentioned then, but of the 4 grams...

Varroa Check >Spin-off<
A recent study out of the University of Florida showed no ill effects of increasing from 1 gram to 2 grams of OA per brood box.  They did see an increase in efficacy.  I dont know if they will try and have the label changed to 2 grams or not.  Personally I never witnessed any observable ill effects to brood using 1 gram.

beesnweeds I feel sure they plan to present the label change request to the EPA. As I received the following correspondence form Cameron Jack April 2020. I do not know if the request has been placed as of yet and if so, if it has been approved.

Good morning Phillip,
I don't mind you sharing our conversation on a bee forum. I would say that the current legal limit of vaporizing 1 g is totally worthless. I don't necessarily mean that OA vaporization is a bust, because you start see some control at 2 g and a slightly better effect at 4 g. To be clear though, even after three rounds of treatment at 4 g once per week, we still had average mite loads of about 2 mites/100 bees. We started with high loads, so it did knock it down significantly, but we didn't see the efficacy you would expect from something like amitraz. However, with resistance issues cropping up with amitraz, it is important to have a few more weapons in our arsenal. All that said, I am not recommending anything, just telling you our research findings. As I said earlier, we do plan to take our research to the EPA to advocate for a label change.
 At this time, we are probably still getting our best control with amitraz, though we are starting to have some resistance issues ourselves. Thus, we use OA via trickle and vaporization during the winter and early spring. In Florida we don't have much of a spring and jump quickly into summer, so if we still need a treatment in the spring before the nectar flows, we use thymol.
 We really do try to practice what we preach and we use alcohol washes to sample our apiaries at least every other month to monitor Varroa populations. I feel strongly that frequent monitoring is a critical practice these days, especially after treatment, so you know if what you've applied is even working for you.
Best,Cameron
Cameron Jack, Ph.D.
Lecturer and Distance Education CoordinatorEntomology and Nematology Department
University of Florida
PO Box 110620
1881 Natural Area Drive
Gainesville, FL, 32611
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 10:32:22 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 01:47:08 am »

Re: Has Anyone Used the Randy Oliver Shop Towel Mite Treating Method?

Comparing four methods of rearing Varroa destructor in vitro
Cameron J Jack et al. Exp Appl Acarol. 2020 Apr.

When was this meeting with the 3 scientist?  Must be years old?

Contrary to the so called scientist in the 3 part videos, varroa can be lab reared.  See above.  Also, Samuels lab reared varroa years ago...  Second, to dismiss the quantitative residual amounts of oxalic acid while concentrating on effects thereof, with data collected to determine degradation of the acid against time in a hive as "not conducted" demonstrates a serious lack of scientific understanding.  This serious lack of data undermines the study.

To throw out numbers such ad 2,3, or 4 grams of oxalic acid per deep while undermining 1 gram without quantitative/qualitative analysis is very puzzling to me.  This is not good science.  I could red line for hours...

If this text appear harsh, that is what science is: we question everything until the scientist presenting data can overcome every single objective. 

Thank you Mr Van. It is always refreshing to hear thoughts from you, from your scientific mind. Its connicendental that you mentioned Cameron Jack in your post of April 2020. That is the same month that I heard from him on the grams per hive study. I posted that reply, on the fresh recent topic, "Varroa Check >Spin-off<" reply 5. Check it out and read his private words to me, which he gave permission to me to share with you all here, regarding OAV dosage findings. As far as quantitative/qualitative analysis, it is my understanding this was achieved. It is my understanding serious data was achieved. But as you well know I am no scientist. I may be misunderstanding his words. If you will please go back and read the reply on the topic "Varroa Check >Spin-off<" reply 5 as described, directly from Professor Jack to me. First party information here, no hear say involved.

The three video interviews  that you are referring to are VERY recent.

>If this text appear harsh, that is what science is: we question everything until the scientist presenting data can overcome every single objective.

Not harsh at ALL. We are blessed to have your science background here at Beemaster. Please always share your thoughts! Sometimes it takes more than the professional community to find the right answers. In my opinion it is good when all concerned share thoughts and ideas in our beekeeping community. This includes the researchers involved here in the videos. Researchers from other colleges, Nations, and worldwide researchers; including the average beekeeper as myself and all here who are interested. A giant beekeeping apiary if you will. 

I am happy that Cameron Jack and other researchers that I have corresponded with are not timid in sharing research with the average person such as we here at Beemaster. As well as the 'above average' such as yourself and others here whom I have great respect and depend upon for open minded debate..

Thanks,
Phillip 

« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 02:42:52 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 01:59:05 am »
I would like to add, the research that Coolbees did and PROVED to obtain successful results, by doing a continuous 3 day treatment for a total of 'nine treatments'. He posted the results on a chart in one of his post Reply #13 on: in the following topic.

Varroa Checks
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=54131.msg490296#msg490296
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 10:31:04 am by Ben Framed »