Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting head deep into problems this year.  (Read 1043 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Getting head deep into problems this year.
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:35:41 pm »
I just split and made up some mating nucs Wed. They were due to emerge Friday. This morning I went to inspect and see if they emerged. When I got up to the first hive I noticed it was fighting away robbers. I am sure now, because everything was trying to get in, wasp, yellow jackets, hornets and even flies. I peaked in the top and noticed the jar had leaked. It was syrup mixed with hbh and megabee.

I replaced the soaked bottom board and moved it 50 feet away. I setup an open feeder about 300 yards away hoping this will help.

The nucs are ten framers with dividers (3 in 1). A 3/4" hole at the bottom for entrance. I am wanting to setup screens but worried about her getting confused. Will she get back in if she is out during screen install? Will she get back in if she had one flight today and needs another after screen install?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Getting head deep into problems this year.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 08:55:35 pm »
Get rid of the HBH and megabee. Remove all feed for 4 days and then sugar water only.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Re: Getting head deep into problems this year.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 05:13:17 am »
Get rid of the HBH and megabee. Remove all feed for 4 days and then sugar water only.

OK, The nuc that splilled, the jar is gone. I will pull the others after work today. Before I went to bed last night, I stapled some small screens in front of entrances, like small tunnels and closed one end, so only one way out.

anything