Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bucket Feeders  (Read 1516 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Bucket Feeders
« on: October 01, 2021, 08:24:08 am »
I made up some bucket feeders. I went to fill them for the second time yesterday and the interior walls are coated in mold.
I made mine with the idea of not pulling the lids off and filling through the tint plug, but it looks like I might have to tear the seal off to clean them.
Have you dealt with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: Bucket Feeders
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 11:10:14 am »
You can acidify the sugar syrup by adding apple cider vinegar.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Bucket Feeders
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 11:14:06 am »
Mold is common with syrup. Especially syrup that is mixed thin. Less of a problem with thick syrup. Many folks add a few things to the syrup to prevent it. Things added are also, ideally, stimulants to the bees. 
A standard, and safe, adder for many is bleach.  1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon  of household bleach controls syrup mold, cleans containers, and extends storage.  Up to a tablespoon per gallon is still safe but is much more than necessary. If you go that route, ensure it is actual bleach (sodium hypochlorite).  There are ecofriendly-green bleach substitutes on the shelves nowadays. Even within well known name brands. Avoid those as they are different chemical make up. Read the labels to be sure of what is in the jug. You want traditional real bleach.
Other beekeeper brewed concoctions include blends of various essential oils. These can be found off the shelf in proprietary blends such as honey-b-healthy, pro-health, and others.   
Do not add vinegars, acids, to the syrup. While acids help with mold with time and temperature those also convert sugars and in the process create toxic compounds in the syrup that will make your bees sick and may kill off your winter bees. The bees will also be turned off, feed much less, of vinegar laced syrup. The wasps and hornets will love it tho!
Keep it simple and to what the bees like. Bees do like chlorine. So use tap water to mix the syrup and add just enough of some real bleach to each batch to arrest mold. 

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:09:25 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 12:59:58 pm »
I've never had winter bees killed from acv.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 01:39:01 pm »
When you rinse the buckets after using if you make the final rinse a strong bleach/water mix and allow it to air dry.  This will slow the formation of mold without having to adding the bleach to the syrup.  If you do add bleach follow HoneyPump' advice on the amounts, and if you use the double strength bleach cut the amount added in half.

Don't give the colony more syrup than it can take in 5 to 7 days.  Remove the buckets when the syrup is gone, don't allow them to remain on the hives because this is usually when the mold forms on the bucket sides.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 08:25:43 pm »
Same here. I use a Tbs per gal of bleach.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 08:58:33 pm »
I had 1:1 in them. I need to wash them out good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 07:22:11 am »
Try adding some thymol to your sugar solution.
I make a 2000x concentrated solution  by adding 20gms of thymol crystals to 100 mls of isopropanol, or any other proprietary alcohol.
Add 0.5ml per litre of syrup (any strength) and the syrup will not go mouldy. I leave gallon containers with sugar solution in my out apiaries all year round, so it's there when I need it.
It's also supposed to help prevent Nosema outbreaks out and may have beneficial effects on hives suffering from it.

https://www.apidologie.org/articles/apido/abs/2010/02/m09043/m09043.html
https://www.apidologie.org/articles/apido/abs/2008/04/m07071/m07071.html

anything