Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best metods for frame drawing?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline drjeseuss

• House Bee
  • The bees know better...
Best metods for frame drawing?
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:40:34 am »
I've been lucky so far with this as my bees have always tended to build straight and even comb.  My first year, I used wired foundation, and hated it.  Since then, I've used unwired foundationless frames with only an edge guide on the top bar, rubbed with wax.  The bees have done fine with this in most cases.  Lately they are throwing me a curve ball...  normally, I'll put empty frames between two drawn frames and they draw it out just fine, but recently they will draw out the existing comb further, then in the new frame, theny either end up thin, offset to one side, or begin to curve things...  in all cases generally making a mess.  I try to move things around and correct as best I can, but it seems once they get off center, they're tough to get back.  I've cut a few frames out completely or partially, and have had some luck getting them fixed.

Does anyone have a method they use to ensure their foundationless frames get drawn out straight, and not offset?  Should I be letting them draw these in the brood box first before moving up to supers so they'll remain proper thickness?  For cut comb, I believe this would be undesirable, so any method that allows them to draw evenly in the supers would be better.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
-Proverbs 16:24

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Best metods for frame drawing?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:12:16 pm »
I don't have a lot of experience with foundationless but for best results you put the frame between two frames in the middle of the brood.  But if you want it for cut comb, try placing it in between two frames of capped honey.  If it's not capped they will tend to extend them instead of drawing the new comb.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:23:40 pm »
What Cao said. A brood cell has a measured length that the bees will not exceed. The capped honey will do the same.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline drjeseuss

• House Bee
  • The bees know better...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 03:56:59 pm »
I knew to sandwich between drawn frames but hadn't thought to ensure the honey was capped. This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
-Proverbs 16:24

Offline richter1978

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:07:21 pm »
I have had them extend the capped frames, drawing new comb right over the existing cappings. It seems to be both colony, and season dependent. Earlier in the year, capped honey frames with an empty between will result in a straight new comb. Later in the season, I've found that the capped frames will more likely be extended into the open space. The center of the brood nest gets me the straightest comb.