Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
HONEYBEE REMOVAL / Re: Expensive Issue
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 05:48:44 pm »
There are also the "special" customers that get charged more. Think of it as a service charge for dealing with their attitude, if you will. I've as much as quadrupled an estimate based on "likely problems foreseen dealing with THAT person" and still gotten the job... even after telling her I knew my price was extremely high and it was because I didn't want to do the job, giving glowing recommendations for my competition that she had also gotten estimates from and were about a quarter of my price. Whatcha gonna do? If they insist, take the money. And nope, I don't feel guilty about it :cheesy:

Absolutely do it as the hassle is being paid for as well! A laborer is due his wages! Dealing with a difficult client is labor as well!  :cheesy: :wink:
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Re: I viewed a meme
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 05:38:17 pm »

Remember John Kassich? Shoveled it in with his fort turned upside down! Trump was all over that one!  :cheesy:
How?  Just by laying drones in it?
Yes, if you let a laying worker hive linger, they will continue to raise drones.  Bees very rarely rebuild brood comb once it's reshaped for drones. 
THE SPORTS BAR / Re: Bad Crash; Well made car!!!
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 01:30:39 pm »
Honestly, the safety in NASCAR today is truly remarkable.

It is!
THE SPORTS BAR / Re: Bad Crash; Well made car!!!
« Last post by The15thMember on Today at 12:58:37 pm »
One of the worst wrecks I've ever seen in NASCAR happened last year at Daytona.  The new Next Gen cars are much less prone to coming off the ground than the old cars, so it was really surprising to see.  Preece was completely fine, although he had what looked like 2 black eyes for the next two weeks or so because the G forces from the rolling burst all the delicate blood vessels around his eyes.  If you skip to about 3:17 in the video you can see an up close slow-mo shot of the wreck.  Honestly, the safety in NASCAR today is truly remarkable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4izQTNC_5A
The problem with that is laying workers can do a lot of irreversible damage to nicely drawn brood comb.
How?  Just by laying drones in it? 
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by beesnweeds on Today at 12:30:56 pm »
Swarming is a two step process.  First the swarm bivouacs and second moves to the new location.  There's nothing wrong with keeping a swarm trap in your yard but a russian scion is even better because you're missing the first step with a trap.  Or at least double the chances of catching the swarm before they move on.  You can catch them easier on a scion attached to a rope and lower them to a hive body.  Im not perfect but can head off most swarms before they happen.  When I see a monster swarm with a great queen in a tree I failed.  Best practices are the responsible thing to do so your bees dont become someone else's problem.  Ive spent a lot of time rearing great queens and bees, I dont want some guy down the road killing them because they are going into his attic, barn, or siding.
Sadly, his hive is dying a slow death. He was considering just putting everything away until next year but it looks like I've talked him out of that.
The problem with that is laying workers can do a lot of irreversible damage to nicely drawn brood comb.
So this isnt really bee yard, but we did an event this weekend and had 2 new items. Honey sticks and pre-purchased honey candies. They were both a hit. It thoroughly amazed me the draw. I actually started giving the candies out to all the kids passing by. That got the kids interested in the observation hive, then the parents, then they tasted the honey, purchase complete. I dont know just found the whole thing a little strange. Never noticed how many people just walk right by without ever looking. Food for thought.
Thats great!! I volunteer to work our bee club's booth during the fair.  Honey candy, honey, comb, and an observation hive really draw people in.  We always sell out of members honey by the last day of the fair.  It's a lot of fun to talk to the public and answer questions.  Some people are truly scared of insects and dont know the difference between a fly, a yellow jacket, and a honeybee and dont want to know.  I respect that.  They walk by and have zero interest.  The thing about fairs is people will go with friends, family, coworkers, etc. so you get to see the different reactions.  A few protective parents really dont want their kids near the table out of fear of allergies/bees or having to purchase something, they spent enough money already on the kids!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything