Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Microscopic view of mutated honey bee stinger.  (Read 1867 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Microscopic view of mutated honey bee stinger.
« on: September 19, 2019, 08:13:38 pm »
I found a honey sickly honey bee a long ways from my apiary: deformed wings, half antenna and crawling with a weird stinger.  I could see with the naked eye the stinger is strange.  So I looked with a stereo microscope,  what you see in the pic is the venom sac and 3 strands of what appears to be a very abnormal stinger.  Birth defect, virus caused, I don?t know.  Where did this bee come from, it could only crawl??

Pic magnifying at about 60X.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Microscopic view of mutated honey bee stinger.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:10:54 pm »
Woah, that?s wild! 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 09:40:07 pm »
Member, I wanted to post a pic of an intact stinger but I could not find a sick honey bee and I don?t wish to kill a healthy one.  I did find a dead yellow jacket in front of a hive.  The yellow jacket was killed by a honey bee stinger to the thorax, or chest the yellow jacket.

Dark outside now, so tomorrow, weather permitting, I will find an old honey bee and post a pic of normal stinger.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 11:47:04 pm »
I think our friend Google can probably help us out here.  :grin:

Ta-dah!  Found this on Flickr.  Now we have a good comparison and no bees were harmed, well, by us at least.  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:00:48 am »
Very interesting Van. You raise the "Million Dollar" question - where did she come from? ... it is worrisome. ...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:12:02 am by CoolBees »
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 01:52:01 am »
Wow!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 08:34:54 am »
Good post.
In your first post Van, all of the parts of the stinger are there, just contorted. It has two barbs for penetrating the skin and the longer one is the needle to transfer the venom.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 10:14:22 am »
Jim, exactly!!!  A honeybee stinger is actually made of 3 parts: 2 barbed sleeves that oscillate back and forth around a central hollow pointed shaft that delivers venom.  In the pic, all three are shown but never developed as a single normal stinger so I used the word mutated.

Member thanks for the pic, thanks so much.

Van

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 06:55:02 pm »
As stated above, today I would photograph and post pic of a normal honey bee stinger.
Not real clear but one can see barbs close to point of stinger.

Cheers
Van
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:20:08 pm by van from Arkansas »

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 07:27:52 pm »
Jim, both pics show bards, clearly.  The second pic taken by electron microscope is so vivid, clear close up with spectacular sharpness and detail.  Thanks for taking time to search and post.
Van

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 09:12:43 pm »
Jim, both pics show bards, clearly.  The second pic taken by electron microscope is so vivid, clear close up with spectacular sharpness and detail.  Thanks for taking time to search and post.
Van
Agreed.  I too love looking at electron microscope images.  Amazing the details that are visible at the microscopic level.  I received a book as a Christmas present last year that is full of pictures of bees and their anatomical structures taken with electron microscopes.  Such a cool book.  It's called Bee, by Rose-Lynn Fisher, in case anyone is interested.   

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 09:17:26 pm »
As stated above, today I would photograph and post pic of a normal honey bee stinger.
Not real clear but one can see barbs close to point of stinger.

Cheers
Van

I do see the barbs. Interesting.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 09:36:23 pm »
Van
Agreed.  I too love looking at electron microscope images.  Amazing the details that are visible at the microscopic level.  I received a book as a Christmas present last year that is full of pictures of bees and their anatomical structures taken with electron microscopes.  Such a cool book.  It's called Bee, by Rose-Lynn Fisher, in case anyone is interested.   

Member, thanks!!  I purchased the book, paperback, new from Amazon.   The pic on the cover is an amazing pic showing details.
Van

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 09:49:24 pm »
Van

Member, thanks!!  I purchased the book, paperback, new from Amazon.   The pic on the cover is an amazing pic showing details.
Van
You're welcome.  :grin:  I figured you'd like that book, if you didn't know of it already.   

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 09:50:52 pm »
 :shocked:  Look, I just leveled up to field bee!   :grin:  I'd like to thank my family and all my sponsors. . .  :wink:  :cheesy:

anything