Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Question.... Options.... Advice....  (Read 1090 times)

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
Queen Question.... Options.... Advice....
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:50:41 pm »
I had posted a thread about the size of the attatched queencell, seemed small to me. Anyway, It hatched and I hadnt seen any sign of her. Of course I am always early expecting her back.(First years letting them raise their own). I gave the hive a frame of eggs/larvae of all ages. They didnt pull any cells so I suspected she was in there, virgin or newly mated. Sure enough I went in there today and there she was, laying a great egg pattern. The only problem was I also saw 3 q cups, with young larvae and rj in them. I noticed she has a problem with one of her wings. It doesnt lay flat on her back, kind of sticks out to the side. Am assuming that is why they want to superscede. My question is, now that shes back, and apparently laying a good pattern, would you tear down the cells? If I do are they just going to build them back? Once they make up their mind is it a done deal? With her laying a good pattern I would much rather let her build the hive instead of dealing with another brood break. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance. G  :chop:
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Queen Question.... Options.... Advice....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 11:53:19 pm »
If I do are they just going to build them back? Once they make up their mind is it a done deal? With her laying a good pattern I would much rather let her build the hive instead of dealing with another brood break. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance. G

yes
usually

do you have enough bees in hives to make a nuc?  make one with her.  let that hive try again.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 11:55:33 pm »
I didnt think about that. I could, and I figured they would. Why would the nuc not treat her the same? Thanks G

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re:
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 02:02:36 am »
It might but it gives you a chance to save her.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 03:36:04 am »
Seems they decided she was worthy after all. Went in this evening to see if the QC's were capped, and instead, found they were all torn down and she was laying away, great pattern, and filling every availible spot. Guess they figured she wasnt going to need to fly and decided to let her rule the roost. Good by me. :chop:

anything