Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping Periodicals  (Read 4255 times)

Offline rail

• House Bee
Beekeeping Periodicals
« on: June 24, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »
What periodical or periodicals about beekeeping are worth subscribing too?
Sirach

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Beekeeping Periodicals
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:43:02 pm »
I subscribe to both ABJ and Bee Culture. Really, its about six of one-half dozen of the other. ABJ seems to me to lean more towards the Commercial Keep though.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 02:49:38 pm »
One of the things I like the most about ABJ is the class room with Jerry Hayes.   Questions are asked and he has answers.   Always the first section I read.  I do get both and always find good reading in each

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:54:29 pm »
ABJ and BC here.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:41:21 pm »
I don't subscribe to either although I sometimes read BC online.   But I have to ask those of you who do subscribe, what do you get from it?  Do you actually find answers that you could not get faster from Beemaster?   And although you can find mis-information anywhere, I find little of that from trusted sources right here on BM.   :-D  I'm sure the Jerry Hayes class with questions and answers is a good thing, but you can ask questions here and get an answer and discussion the same day.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline ApisM

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 07:53:31 pm »
ABJ is not the same as beemaster.  It has information on the latest research and information on beekeeping in other countries and methods.  It allows one to explore the world of beekeeping through these different cultures, academics, and methods. 

The information also allows me to expand my outlook, and maybe someday I'll be Top Bar Hive Beekeeping????
It is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 09:25:41 pm »
I ain't gonna lie.   I don't read the articles, I just look at the pictures.    :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 09:48:03 pm »
I'm thinking of starting a "Playbee" mag up over winter.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 10:09:34 pm »
I'm thinking of starting a "Playbee" mag up over winter.

Scott

Now THAT I would subscribe to!  :-D

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:00:01 pm »
I subscribe to both ABJ and BC. I have learned a lot from both magazines and I look forward to receiving them in the mail!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 11:28:39 pm »
And Bee Culture has the calendar that comes out every year that is nice.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 07:22:03 am »
Ok, for those of you who feel you get some value from these magazines, can you give me an example of something useful you have learned there that you actually use in your own bee yard?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 03:16:54 pm »
A rolled up ABJ is a great tool for swatting yellow jackets!  :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 03:30:22 pm »
Every month they have the local honey prices for each region.  Scan the ads for queen and bee prices.   Newest equipment gadgets are in the mags.   Hard to say what I learned and used, but I am sure it is in there.   They have a lot of info there.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 03:51:22 pm »
Ok, for those of you who feel you get some value from these magazines, can you give me an example of something useful you have learned there that you actually use in your own bee yard?

For one thing, I look at the classifieds. Since Beemaster is a commercial free site (thankfully so) I can pick up my magazine and find stuff that I may be looking for.

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 10:22:34 pm »

I have learned several things from the magazines. The real thing I have learned is that there are many ways to do certain things. For example, I always thought a split was a split and I did not know there were many different ways to do it. May seem simple to others, but I was only taught one way. There are definitely a ton of different ways to breed queens and those methods are in there as well. There is a lot of latest news type information in the magazines. The magazines also seemed to be planned as well. For example, a lot of the magazine articles pertaining to catching swarms are published during swarm season. I guess if you consider yourself a know it all the magazines are useless, but I am always learning and I like to see how others are doing things. You never know, they may be doing something different than you that is better than your method. Also, beekeeping is changing constantly and the people publishing these magazines are traveling all over the world to try and keep up. They live beekeeping and I know for a fact that I do not have the time to do the research they do or interviews of researchers that they do. The magazines are great for beekeepers of all ages in my opinion!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 08:43:01 am »
Another thing that i like about ABJ is they number there pages starting page 1 on Jan issue and contiue the page numbering up all year.  The Dec issue has a index of the entier year.  You want to reread say swarming.  Look it up in the Dec issue and it will tell you article page numbers of the whole year