Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Langstroth Long Hive  (Read 22684 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Langstroth Long Hive
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 10:42:55 am »
I have one top bar I am trying to convert to lang.  I Noticed that they had propolised, 3 of the 5 entry holes.  I put an insulated board in the DSBB and placed cloth in the top screen with 1 1/2 inches of shavings.  Two or three days later I came by the hive and they had removed the propolis from the entrances.  Now you know as much as I do.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:38:04 pm by paus »

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 04:03:22 pm »
How many frames does your box hold and what kind of top do you use?  I have quilt boxes on all my hives and the bees seem to love them, I was considering putting quilt boxes on these.   My long lang is 45" with deeps built with 3/8" ply for walls and 1.5" stringers copied from rhaldrige off of beesource.  i plan to set it on blocks or a leg like platform in case i want to move.
Mine are 4 ft. long and will hold about 33 frames if I remember right.  They are built with 2x sides and 3/8 plywood bottom.  I have made several different sized inner covers to accommodate the growing hive.  The hinged outer cover has a couple inches of space above inner covers for insulation if necessary.

Offline skeeter0999

• New Bee
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 08:27:21 am »
cao:
What type of inner covers are you using now?

The sides are 3/8 ply and the ends are 1" cypress. I haven't added entrances yet, any reccomendations on the ends or sides, upper or lower.
The base is built separate and is treated 2x4 pine. I plan to set up initially as a bait hive and if no luck add a swarm.

Mike

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2019, 12:44:58 pm »
The inner covers are just some 1/4 inch plywood, cut to different sizes so I don't have to expose all of the hive at once.  I put some strips if wood around to edges to prevent them from warping.  I just put a entrance on one end at the bottom.  About 1/2 x 3 inches long.  That way it is out of the way when working the hive from the side and easier for the bees to clean out the trash.  I have had luck both putting a swarm in one and moving the queen with a few frames from a split.  Hope you have luck with yours too.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2019, 01:41:31 am »
Just an update.  I added five empty frames to the first long hive I made.  It is starting its third year. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2019, 04:52:58 am »
CAO,
Wow, looks great.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2019, 12:36:17 am »
My long lang is 4 feet long. I built the sides out of pine boards and the bottom from plywood. It uses deep langstroth frames. I have four migratory top boards on top, so I can remove one at a time and not disturb the hive much.
There are two shims lifting the side of one of the migratory tops to make a top entrance along the short end. And a single board over the whole thing, although I am going to replace that with a sheet of aluminum or something.
A feral colony moved in the beginning of March. I placed the brood at the end with the top entrance, and they have filled half the box, steadily working towards the other end.
Do you suppose I can get rid of the over all cover board and just use the four migratory tops? I am worried that rain will seep between them and into the hive.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2019, 07:59:27 am »
My long Lang is 4 feet wide, and built with 4 sawhorse style legs screwed from the inside to the outside. It has 4 migratory board tops, so I uncover only a fourth of the hive at a time.
The first top has two shims lifting at the short end for a migratory top style top entrance. And there is a single piece of plywood over the whole so rain won't seep between the 4 top pieces, although I wonder if I can do without that, or at least replace it with something lightweight such as a sheet of aluminum.
Deep foundationless langstroth frames are used, with the wedge broken off and re-glued sideways for a comb guide.
When the feral colony moved in, I placed them at one end (where the top entrance is) and the have been steadily filling the hive towards the other end. About half full now.