BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

my top-bar hive pictures!!

(1/3) > >>

justgojumpit:
hello everyone, i thought you might be interested in seeing some pictures of my top-bar hive.  so here is the link: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49545
Also, please feel free to post on the forum of the link above, as it could definitely use the extra traffic.  i hope you enjoy the pics,

justgojumpit

Beth Kirkley:
That looks really great! I'm a big top bar hive fan too. :)

Beth

Bupalos:
good work. I am thinking of running a top bar myself. My only concern is wintering. I am in NE Ohio and from what I understand, tbh are not very advantageous for wintering. Have you had success?

justgojumpit:
bupalos, i can't say i've had success... yet!  this is my first year with my tbh, so i will have to see how it survives the winter.  i don't see why it would have any problems, though.

Bupalos:
What I am given to understand is that vertically oriented hives are better for wintering because the bees in cluster can move up and down frames much more easily than across frames. Also there is the suggestion that the heat is better utilized through a chimney effect in the vertical hives. I think some TBH people stack hives in the winter to help with heat. But this is just what I have been told, I have no experience with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version