BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Electric heating of colonies during spring weather

(1/2) > >>

Finman:
I took into use electric thermo cabels in hives last year. Now I have in my every 18 colony electric heating.  15 W.  They are terrarium heaters. http://www.reptilica.de/shop/product_info.php/cPath/22_25_38/products_id/35/lang/english/index.htm

4 colony was heated during all winter with 7 W heater.

Also I have feeded my colonies with pollen+yeast+ soya flour  3 months. Colonies are now in very good condition.  Willows start blooming in Finland about first of May (1.5.). I started feeding about 15.3.

During summer a little one box colony makes 3 times more larvas than without heating.

Does any have experience from heating colonies?

Here you can see our weather. Now  +7C and rain http://www.tiehallinto.fi/alk/frames/kelikamerat-frame.html

Robo:
Finman,

How do you have the cables installed in the hive?

Anonymous:

--- Quote from: Robo ---Finman,

How do you have the cables installed in the hive?
--- End quote ---

It is on the floor of the nest.  3-4 m long cable. Queen likes to go down lay eggs to the bottom box. Very easy to use. Water resistant.

Anonymous:
I heated a hive all winter and a new package in the spring with a 15w light bulb under the hive. I had some problems with overheating the hive and some bees would leave the hive when it was too cold. The hive was very strong in the spring and I split it 3 ways. The package grew much faster also. The 7 watt cables would work better. Heating can work well, especially where it is very cold in the winters. I plan on heating several again this winter.

Anonymous:

--- Quote from: Anonymous ---I heated a hive all winter and a new package in the spring with a 15w light bulb under the hive. I had some problems with overheating the hive and some bees would leave the hive when it was too cold. .
--- End quote ---

I do not keep heating under winter ball. It disperses the ball.
After "clean upp flight" ,as we say, I put heating cable into nest.

I had 2 frame colony and I put half a cable in the empty part of superb. It was really tiny. But now it has 2 superbs. It overwintered very well.

In Hungary they use 3W heaters during winter. So I have heard. When I tried 3 W, it was no use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version