Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can you see the signs of the times?  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Can you see the signs of the times?
« on: March 24, 2023, 08:00:02 pm »
Here in the northern henisphere the weather is changing, signs of spring are all around. Birds are singing, flowers starting to bloom, dandelions popping up, and leaves appearing on the first early trees. My hives have come through winter and I can once again enjoy sitting on my bench and watch the bees busily hauling pollen into the hive. I've counted at least four different pollen colors coming in and the pollen baskets are bulging, it's a beautiful thing.

Watching the activity and seeing signs of spring around got me to thinking. This is my first spring with bees coming out of winter. What to expect I wonder? Two more months and my first year of this amazing journey with bees will end and the next will begin. My sense of wonderment about bees has only gotten stronger the more I've learned, and the more I've learned the more I realize I don't know.

Which is beautiful isn't it? The not knowing, the expanding understanding that no matter how much I learn there will always be more, the journey will never be complete. It's an unending cycle of observing and learning, partnering with these amazing creatures who not only make life possible but more enjoyable. They don't need us but we need them. Without us they would go on, enduring, continuing through the years, living and dying much as they have for millenia. Without them the world would be irrevocably altered. We have richer lives in more ways than we can ever understand because of them. We're the privileged ones because of them. Our lives are enriched in learning about life from them.

Which leads me back to the beginning of seeing the season change, the hives become active and wondering what I'll learn this year that I didn't know last year. I look forward to hearing what the bees tell me this year, about life, about themselves, and about myself. I hope you also enjoy the learning and smile at your bees for the lessons they teach us.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Can you see the signs of the times?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 10:20:07 pm »
Glad you are enjoying your bees as well as the pleasure of learning and all that follows.
:grin:

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 01:18:51 am »
Occam,
This is why I warn new beekeepers that beekeeping is very addictive.
Enjoy.
Jim Altmiller
Ps. I have been wondering where you got Occam from. Is it from Occam?s Razor or is it your own name?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 01:32:15 am »
Occam,
This is why I warn new beekeepers that beekeeping is very addictive.
Enjoy.
Jim Altmiller
Ps. I have been wondering where you got Occam from. Is it from Occam?s Razor or is it your own name?
Jim Altmiller

Yes, it's from Occam's Razor. Real name is Aaron

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 01:37:38 am »
😊
For some reason I kept thinking about Occam?s Razor and then you joined with that name. That is why I had to ask.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 04:19:39 pm »
Warm enough for the bees to fly yesterday and today... I see a lot of pollen coming in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 06:17:32 pm »
Speaking of observing things.. what are the signs you look for that indicate the main flow is starting dor coming. Certain plants to be flowering? Cut down splits are time sensitive to be done a couple week before the main flow to my understanding but I don't know what to look for to tike that. What else do yall look for indicating the flow is about to take off?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 07:35:44 pm »
During a hive inspection, if your have drops of liquid on them every time you turn a frame flat, and you aren?t feeding, a flow is on.
One old timer beekeeper I knew years ago used to say to catch a returning bee and squeeze its abdomen. If the flow is on a drop of nectar would come out of her mouth. Never tried it but he said it many times.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 10:05:31 pm »
Sure, that one's pretty common sense, they're bringing nectar in and it can be seen in the comb. I guess I was wondering if there are ways of determining timing on a flow based on observations outside of the hive. Also is there a difference between a flow and a main flow? I see both terms frequently used and it would make sense to me that just like many things in nature the flow would be stronger at certain times ofbthe season than at others. But are there outside indications nature gives us (certain trees or flowers blooming) that while nectar may start flowing with the first flowers blooming in the spring it really kicks in stronger later?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 11:02:28 pm »
Sure, that one's pretty common sense, they're bringing nectar in and it can be seen in the comb. I guess I was wondering if there are ways of determining timing on a flow based on observations outside of the hive. Also is there a difference between a flow and a main flow? I see both terms frequently used and it would make sense to me that just like many things in nature the flow would be stronger at certain times ofbthe season than at others. But are there outside indications nature gives us (certain trees or flowers blooming) that while nectar may start flowing with the first flowers blooming in the spring it really kicks in stronger later?
The way I use the terms at least, my main flows are the dependable times of year when the flow is strong enough for the bees to draw comb at a decent pace.  Just "a flow" is the opposite of a dearth: there is some nectar coming in.  Right now, I'm in a flow, not a main flow, with the second round of spring flowers blooming.  Each hive has one or two frames of honey they are working on curing and maybe one frame they have capped.  Comb building is either very slow or nonexistent, depending on the rate each colony is building up.  But the bees are content and easy to work, since they have food coming in and are busy.   

My two main flows are blackberries in May and sourwood in July.  Provided these flowers produce nectar like they can in good years, and the sourwood especially can be quite variable, these are the times of year where the bees are cranking in and out of the entrances, crashing like B-52 bombers onto the landing board with their heavily laden honey crops, and drawing out and filling 4-6 frames a week. 

The way I generally predict such flows is mostly by learning the typical timing year to year.  After 5 years of beekeeping, I have learned the general seasonal rhythms of my blooms and what to expect in each month.  As far as the quality of the flow in a given year, compared to what I expect based on previous years, I gauge that based on how quickly the bees are building and filling comb.  If I was trying to narrowly predict a flow, for the purposes of timing manipulations, I would use both my own records of previous years, and I would observe this year both the weather and the blooms I was targeting to try and estimate when they are likely to open.         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 12:49:56 am »
Awesome thanks. I've started keeping notes on what's going on, having the data for the future can't hurt I figure. Gradually with more time, experience, and observation I'll start being able to read and understand what's happening more and more

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 04:57:07 pm »
I shouldn't have commented in this thread but thanks for the answers.  I will answer in my own thread.
I will comment on flow though.  A main flow is when you can take some honey in other words there is extra.  A "flow" is something that is just sustainable.  A dearth is not sustainable.  The bees must rely on stored reserves.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 05:04:35 pm »
I shouldn't have commented in this thread but thanks for the answers.  I will answer in my own thread.
I will comment on flow though.  A main flow is when you can take some honey in other words there is extra.  A "flow" is something that is just sustainable.  A dearth is not sustainable.  The bees must rely on stored reserves.
I'll move the relevant posts over to your thread, Ace.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2023, 05:12:41 pm »
Speaking of observing things.. what are the signs you look for that indicate the main flow is starting dor coming. Certain plants to be flowering? Cut down splits are time sensitive to be done a couple week before the main flow to my understanding but I don't know what to look for to tike that. What else do yall look for indicating the flow is about to take off?
Without opening the hive at all, bees exiting the hive with obvious direction and intensity, returning with distended abdomen. When they're really coming in heavy you'll see bees that didn't quite make it on the grass in front of the hive, pumping abdomen to get their strength back for the last few feet.

Just opening the hive, white wax on the tops of the combs.

Then wet nectar like Jim said, drippy combs.

Then, and you'll have to get a feel for it, when bees are intentionally backfilling the broodnest with nectar so as to compress the queen to get ready for swarming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 05:34:03 pm »
Starting to see some warm spots in the sun here.  But it will still be awhile yet before can start playing with the bees.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 05:55:34 pm »
THP,
😊
This should bee in the Humor section. 😆
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 06:13:04 pm »
Hahahaha!  :cheesy:  You poor arctic dwellers!

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 06:32:23 pm »
HoneyPump. Confession time.
Is that you in the photo, or a meme copied from the web?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 07:23:27 pm »
Good one HoneyPump...   :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2023, 06:25:52 am »
Snow night before last.  Frost last night.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin