Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fermenting  (Read 9047 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Fermenting
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2022, 08:54:29 pm »
We ate some kraut for the first time tonight with our meal.  It's not quite there yet, but it went with our meal tonight so we had some anyway.  It was GOOD.  I'm sure it'll be even better when it gets a little more sour, as it was still quite mild today.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2022, 08:36:36 am »
Did you make your own kielbasa?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2022, 03:06:40 pm »
Did you make your own kielbasa?
No, just store bought.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2022, 08:52:09 am »
I try to avoid nitrites.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2022, 12:54:56 pm »
I try to avoid nitrites.
So do my angelfish.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2022, 01:33:58 pm »
I had a little trouble with my kraut this week.  I noticed that some of it wasn't under the brine anymore and was turning brown.  I'd had some brine spill out, and I guess I should have replaced it.  I also probably should have had a heavier weight in the top than I did.  I salvaged what was still good, and I've got an extra head of red cabbage in the fridge, so I'm going to make some more today. 

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2022, 07:23:25 pm »
I used the food processor today, and it went a lot better for a number of reasons.  Firstly, it was obviously faster; secondly, the increased surface area helped the cabbage to sweat quicker when I salted it; and thirdly, it was a lot easier to massage and pack it with my weak hands when the pieces were smaller.  I don't have any real weights yet, and I haven't been down to the river to get a rock, so I'm using a plastic bag filled with water as a weight.  Also, as you can see, the cabbage ended up being a green one, not a red one.  :smile:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2022, 09:06:00 am »
The problem is water is lighter than salt water.  Use the bag but put something solid in it.  You can even use another smaller canister or plastic container filled with dirt that will fit through the mouth of the jar.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2022, 01:05:51 pm »
The problem is water is lighter than salt water.  Use the bag but put something solid in it.  You can even use another smaller canister or plastic container filled with dirt that will fit through the mouth of the jar.
I'm not having any trouble with the bag floating.  There is not enough liquid in the jar for that.  Both my salvaged batch and my new batch are staying under the brine nicely with the baggie weights, and this morning my new batch had brine almost all the way up to the top of the jar!  :happy:  Also, if I was going to fill a container or bag with something solid as a weight, I'd probably pick something cleaner than dirt!  :wink: :cheesy: 

The first time around I actually didn't use any weight, since I had seen several people not using weights in my research, and I always like to try the minimalist approach first.  I just packed it in real good and topped it with a folded up cabbage leaf.  I think the reason that it didn't work for me was that I didn't replace the brine when I lost it, and that I was unable to REALLY PACK it in my containers, for all the reasons that this round with the food processor went better.  When I removed some from the quart jar and ate it, I noticed the brine was too low, so I put an empty jelly jar in the top of that one as a weight.  But that wasn't heavy enough to submerge the cabbage under the small amount of brine I had left.           

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 08:51:29 am »
I'd probably pick something cleaner than dirt!  :wink: :cheesy: 
Just trying to make a point, anything can be used.  FYI the cabbage grew in dirt and dirt is good for the prostate.
But that wasn't heavy enough to submerge the cabbage under the small amount of brine I had left.           
LOL fill it with dirt!
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2022, 06:56:28 pm »
Really, Ace, do you actually think 15th needs prostate help?   :shocked:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2022, 07:44:58 pm »
Posted by: iddee
<<on: Today at 04:56:28 pm >>

:cheesy:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 08:13:45 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2022, 08:25:58 pm »
:cheesy:  I was thinking it!  To be fair, there are lots of other good reasons to ingest a little dirt that don't require having a prostate.  :grin:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2022, 08:20:34 am »
I was thinking she was married and cared for her hubby.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2022, 10:23:27 am »
Thinking?? If that were so, you would be voting straight republican today.  :grin:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2022, 11:08:26 am »
I was thinking she was married and cared for her hubby.
Nope, still living at home with my mom and dad and my younger siblings, all of whom are girls.  :cheesy: 

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2022, 02:17:45 pm »
I tasted both rounds of kraut yesterday.  The original batch, in spite of looking nice, still tastes a little alcoholic from the yeasts getting into it, so I just tossed it in the compost.  The green kraut has started to bubble nicely and is starting to taste and smell sour already.  I did notice that my baggie weight was leaking a little bit (because the lesson of this whole experience is apparently "things that work for other people don't work for me"  :wink: :cheesy: ), so I did end up filling the baggie with something solid instead.  As I predicted, I did not choose dirt, but rather marbles to fill the bag.  :cheesy:

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2022, 08:56:58 pm »
So I guess it would be safe to say you were loosing your marbles?!?!  :cheesy:
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2022, 09:43:06 pm »
So I guess it would be safe to say you were loosing your marbles?!?!  :cheesy:
:cheesy:  Hopefully I WON'T lose them like I lost the water!  :grin:

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2023, 01:33:32 pm »
I figured I'd get this thread going again, since I've been doing a lot of fermenting lately.  We got a set of mason tops, so no more messing around with bags of marbles and such.  I've done several rounds of kraut and it's becoming a staple in the fridge.  Just yesterday I made up a beautiful batch of kraut from a beautiful deep purple cabbage. 

I also fermented some onions and they are great on sandwiches, salads, or burgers.  I've also had good reviews on fermented carrots.  I've done some plain, and the last batch I did with garlic and some herbs, and both the carrots and the garlic are great to snack on.  I'm planning on doing more onions and carrots sometime this week, so I'll post some pictures when I do.   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 01:46:52 pm by The15thMember »