Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3-D Printing  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
3-D Printing
« on: August 01, 2022, 04:56:21 pm »
Beemaster2 (Jim), recently posted a fine example of a wax press he made by using the 3-D method. I have seen videos of other beekeepers products, made at home by the 3-D method.

Are there other members here which use 3-D printers to aid in their beekeeping? I will include guest. If you are a guest please feel free to join us here at Beemaster and join in the conversation.

Are there others here who use 3-D printers for other purposes as well?

Phillip

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 05:31:58 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: 3-D Printing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 08:08:50 pm »
Here are some pictures of a honey gate that I designed and printed. The original gate constantly leaks around the threads. They were too short to bee able to add a second O ring so I made this. I can either print the handle and seal pieces or use the original ones. I haven?t decided yet.
I also made new nuts for it , the original one would slip if you tightened it too much.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 08:10:38 pm »
Here is the nut for it:

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 08:25:40 pm »
What did your 3D printer cost you, Jim? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 08:28:29 pm »
It will be interesting to see if that one leaks or not.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 10:35:50 pm »
Jim I a m amazed how nice these parts look!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 11:15:54 pm »
My brother has the printer but I am sure the design portion is a little time consuming.
Cheers
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 04:02:03 am »
It was my birthday present, about $650 for this one. You can get cheaper/smaller ones.  My nephew is an expert on 3d printers and he recommended my wife get this one. He used to build fighting robots using 3d printers for all of the plastic parts.

Jim Altmiller there
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 04:04:27 am »
It will be interesting to see if that one leaks or not.
I will have to sand and smooth out the end with the hole to make it leak proof.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 04:08:23 am »
My brother has the printer but I am sure the design portion is a little time consuming.
Cheers
gww
It took 33 hours to print. It took a lot longer to figure out how it get the different angles and shapes. It was fun learning how to design it.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 06:55:07 am »
I'd love get the files for the honey gate.  My son has a 3D printer now.  So far we've just made toys...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 08:16:25 am »
Michael,
I?ll send you a copy.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 03:41:47 pm »
Also the cost of the plastic.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 03:51:26 pm »
My brothers was about $1100 and he told me the cost of the stuff he prints with but I can't remember but know he does not just use one kind.  I helped him mate it wireless to his lap top cause I am better then him with that kind of stuff which is funny cause I am not tech savvy.
Cheers
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 06:39:40 pm »
Ace,
The plastic costs about $23 a 1000 gram roll.
GWW,
Did you hook up a Rasberry Pi to his printer?
I ordered one and a camera that goes with it. The camera came but they back ordered the Rasberry Pi and then canceled it. As soon as I get a few extra bucks I?m going to re order it. The Rasberry Pi  has WiFi built in.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 07:16:36 pm »
Jim
I don't think he got anything but the printer.  He may have got a builder program other then what came with the machine.  He has gotten different hardness type printing material but to be honest, over two days we just learned how to get it to work from his lap top, transferred a few free pre-designs from the internet and built a couple easy things with the program and once he got those moves down, I was out. 

I think he has messed with it quite a bit since my involvement.  I think he bought a cheap caliper to help with his designs.  He has made stuff for other family members but I only really helped or watched while figuring the transferring of info between different programs and his printer. 

He wanted one for years but I did not have enough imagination to figure out how to make it useful for me to want one.  Some day I am going to see if it will print some arrow nochs strong enough to use.  I tried while trying to make it work but did not figure it out on them but some other toy but can go back now that we know how.  Course I may never get off my butt and fire the cross bow any more to need them.  Time will tell.  I have talked so little about it with him lately that he may have bought cameras and other things that help him do stuff that I don't even know about.
Cheers
gww

Ps  Pretty sure it is this printer or at least this brand.    QIDI X-MAX, LARGE SIZE 3D PRINTER

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 10:52:52 pm »
GWW,
I use Fusion 360 for designing. I really like it. There are tons of training videos for it.
Check out Thingiverse.com and see if someone has already designed the arrow nocks that you want to make.
I use digital calibers for designing. They?re more accurate and it helps your design match what you are trying to put it on. 
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2022, 11:29:40 pm »
Off of Thingiverse.com, the noch was the first thing I tried but I ended up being successful on a little plane and just did not go back after it printed.  My little brother had already caste a few for me and so we were mostly just leaning how to do stuff at the time.  However, every since I found the noch, I have been intending to  eventually try a few.

I don't remember which program for designing and it may have been fusion as it sounds a bit familiar.  Since you typed it, I can find it again if I ever need to so thanks.
Cheers
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 04:02:12 am »
GWW,
No need to find out. That?s just the program that I like and use. It is really powerful.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2022, 11:53:42 am »
I was thinking more that now that I know you like it, if my brother mentions some problem with what he is using, I could now find it here and turn him onto it to try.
Cheers
gww

anything