Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Conversion to Beekeeper complete.  (Read 1441 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Conversion to Beekeeper complete.
« on: June 02, 2021, 11:01:52 pm »
I brought home a swarm that couldn?t find a new home so they built comb on the end of a branch. It was so heavy the branch broke and it was resting on the ground. There was a lot of comb so I just put the whole branch in 3 medium boxes and brought it home.
My wife originally would not get near my bees. When I was building my observation hive, she told me several times that is not going in my house. Years later she would help me with cutouts, I would remove all of the bees from the comb an she would frame it.
Yesterday I went into fix the branch swarm. I needed to go to the barn for another box of drawn comb and asked her to hold the branch with a few bees. 
Here she is holding a branch of bees. Complete conversion.

Most of the bees were still in the box so they were not crawling up to her hands.
Turned out all of the comb was drone cell size comb so I did not give it back to the bees. I gave them 2 boxes of drawn comb, there were a lot of bees, and I gave them a frame of eggs and various ages of brood to make a new queen.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: Conversion to Beekeeper complete.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 07:18:59 am »
Very nice.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 08:14:10 am »
Well done job of training. (yeah, right)  :grin:
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 10:52:14 am »
Good job Mrs Altmiller! I. Know Jim is very appreciative for your good help. Good help makes a big difference when handling bees... 😊
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 11:33:23 am »
Yeah!  The more beekeepers the merrier!  I love it when I can wrangle other members of my family into the bee yard.  They are usually a little nervous, but once they are out there, they really enjoy it.   

Reminds me of a story a beekeeping friend of mine told me about how his father got him into beekeeping.  His father brought him along to get a swarm when he was little boy.  He told him, "All right son, you just stand right there and hold out your hands."  Then his father climbed up the ladder, clipped off the branch, came back down the ladder, and handed the branch loaded with bees to my friend.  Then his father said, "Stand right there and wait while I go get a box for them," and he left my friend standing there with a huge swarm in this hands!  That was the first time he'd every done anything with the bees, and he said he was terrified!  It got him hooked though!  :wink:  :cheesy:   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 04:25:57 pm »
BRAVA!
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 09:38:14 am »
That pic of Judy reminds me of my wife, afraid of nothing...
We got a baby skunk under the chicken coup and my wife was trying to coax it out.  You know it got her right in the face.  That got my wife in a rage and she grabbed that skunk by the tail and flung it 30 ft over an 8 ft page fence.  Never saw that skunk again.  My wife went in the shower and her cloths went in the dumpster.
Lesa would like to help me with bees and sometimes she has but she is seriously allergic.  Fire ants just about drove us out of FL until we got our land treated.
My wife doesn't like doctors and she won't get an epi pen.  Don't tell my how pig headed Germans are because the Irish have got us beat.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything