MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM )))

The 51st state

(1/2) > >>

Kathyp:
Some years ago the people of DC were complaining about not having representation because they were not a state.  It's not an unfair complaint on the surface and the proposed solution was pretty simple.  Take the majority of DC and make it part of Maryland.  Leave the capitol area separate as the Constitution requires.  Problem solved.  50 states, more reps for Maryland, representation that has voting power for the former residents of DC.

The current proposal to make all of DC a state has nothing to do with representation.  It's just about getting two more leftist Senators.  That aside, there are some other problems.  DC is basically a city.  A badly mismanaged city with a huge crime problem.  The idea of giving pols who can't manage a city the right to vote on things that impact all of us ought to make us think twice.  It is less a partisan issue than a management issue.  Why on earth would we want a state, with all that goes with it, that can't manage its own affairs?

I am in favor of fixing the representation issue, but not at the expense of the rest of the country.

BeeMaster2:
I say leave it as it is. If you want to be part of a state, move to one. As Kathyp said the only reason they are pushing to bee a state is to have 2 more liberal senators. 
Jim Altmiller

Acebird:
I think Kathy has got the answer.  It will result in making Maryland more blue.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: Kathyp on April 22, 2021, 08:16:35 pm ---The current proposal to make all of DC a state has nothing to do with representation.  It's just about getting two more leftist Senators.

--- End quote ---

LMAO isn't that representation?

Kathyp:

--- Quote ---LMAO isn't that representation?
--- End quote ---

It is, but that was not my point.  Read again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version