MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE CONSTITUTION

Is the 14th Amendment valid?

(1/2) > >>

hjon71:
http://www.barefootsworld.net/14uncon.html

I think not.

Kathyp:
I'm not sure it matters now.  Even if you did away with it, the unintended reading of the 14th would stand. certainly the intended results would also.    if it were put back up for a vote, it would be rewritten to fit the new interpretations which were clearly not the intent when it was written.  either way, the result is the same.

there was nothing wrong with the amendment as intended.  not surprising that there were states that didn't like the idea.  not surprising that there might have been shenanigans to get it passed.  that never changes.  look at Harrys senate.. 

hjon71:
I'm going to wait and see if this gets any more comments.

Michael Bush:
I'm not sure I follow.  The principle tenants of the 14th amendment are:

>State and federal citizenship for all persons regardless of race both born or naturalized in the United States was reaffirmed.

This was simple a reaffirmation of something that was already stated.

>No state would be allowed to abridge the "privileges and immunities" of citizens.

This was simple a reaffirmation of something that was already stated.

>No person was allowed to be deprived of life, liberty,or property without "due process of law."

Already covered in the 4th and 5th amendments.

>No person could be denied "equal protection of the laws."

I'm certain every sane person believes that congress should not be able to pass laws that apply only to a certain subset of people.  It is the basis for the "rule of law" and certainly did not originate with the 14th amendment:

"Our constitution does not copy the laws of neighbouring states; we are rather a pattern to others than imitators ourselves. Its administration favours the many instead of the few; this is why it is called a democracy. If we look to the laws, they afford equal justice to all in their private differences; if no social standing, advancement in public life falls to reputation for capacity, class considerations not being allowed to interfere with merit; nor again does poverty bar the way, if a man is able to serve the state, he is not hindered by the obscurity of his condition."--Pericles of Athens, 431 B.C.

And many other quotes from our country:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_men_are_created_equal

"Equality before the law" is the motto of the State of Nebraska

We live in a country that was founded by the Declaration of Independence and starts:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed"

How can we not believe in equal protection under the law?

If we didn't have the 14th Amendment, we would have to pass it again...

Eric Bosworth:
>How can we not believe in equal protection under the law?

Good question... But the IRS seems to be above it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version