MEMBER BULLETIN BOARD > WHAT THINGS SHOULD LOOK LIKE!

Jose's Hive: How Not To Keep Bees

(1/3) > >>

Lone:
Jose swapped me a beehive for a van a few years ago then yearned to keep bees again.  So I split off a nuc for him.  12 months passed and he never touched it except to face an empty double deep to the entrance of the nuc.  I do not have another 5 frame nuc box, so to regain the use of my nuc box I then had to sort out the mess that was Jose's Hive.

The set up:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

First I had to clean the honeycomb and bees from the lid and the top of the frames:

I did not know what to expect or what I'd find in the empty supers - lovely capped honeycomb with a little pollen.  A few beetles on the pollen but not a problem:

They were lovely quiet bees.  But were they everywhere! 

I didn't try to look for the queen and risk losing her.  There was mainly capped brood and very few eggs.  I slipped the 5 frames into the new box quickly, but she could have been anywhere.  But last week when I checked, there were signs of a queen and a thriving hive.

The moral of this story is , if you give Jose bees, you will end up with pictures that show you how not to keep bees.

Lone

buzzbee:
I'm surprised they chose to store honey in the detached hive bodies.Quite an interesting setup,to say the least. :)

AllenF:
I find that amazing also.  I would never have thought it.   But I guess it worked.

bud1:
that jose kinda like me, dont sweat it if it works

Nico:
Lone if Jose's hive was on the roof in that setup during cyclone Yasi it is unbelieveable.
Nico   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version