BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Bushkill Bee Vac

(1/21) > >>

Robo:
I've had a bee vac design in my mind for almost a year now but never got around to putting saw to board.   Finally spent a day and got one built.  I always found the bee vac to be one of my essential tools, but seemed to have issues with emptying the bees into a new hive.  So the main principle of this bee vac is not to have to dump them when done. :-D  You can see all the details here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

Jerrymac:
A problem I had with my sliding door was rolling bees and squishing them through between the floor and the back wall. Thought about putting a little plastic lip or something on there. Never did. I am going to redesign the inner box.

Agility Mom:
This looks really good. I have always wanted a bee vac so maybe now I can make one. Does the vac have to be any particular power?

Jerrymac:
You don't want it too powerful. Just enough to barely pull the bees off the comb.

Robo:

--- Quote from: Agility Mom on March 27, 2008, 06:05:16 pm ---Does the vac have to be any particular power?

--- End quote ---

It has to suck strong enough to break the bees grip on the comb.   Mine says 5HP (peak).  You should always have a by-pass in your vac so that you can adjust the suction at the hose.  Too much suction and you can kill the bees when they hit the inside of the vacuum.
Just like the saying, "Driving fast doesn't kill you, it is the sudden stop that does".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version