Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: a couple simple questions  (Read 3050 times)

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
a couple simple questions
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:24:42 am »
I'm getting ready for my second year beekeeping.  I didn't harvest last year, but I'm looking through the magazines and on-line to order some things to harvest this year. 

Any input on seperating the bees from their honey?  Is Bee Go or Bee Quick the only way to go and which would be better? 

For uncapping, what would be the benefits or drawbacks to the scratcher vs. electric knives vs. a cold uncapping knife?

This is just a hobby right now and I hope to harvest honey from three hives this year.  Would it be worth it to get a cheap ($120) all plastic two-frame extractor (from Dadant)?

I was going to try to bottle from a 5-gallon bucket.  Would I really need three filters (200 micron fine filter, 400 micron medium filter and a 600 micron fine filter)?

On a budget and trying to make some wise decisions.
Thanks for any input.
Mark Swartfager
NW PA

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: a couple simple questions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:37:58 am »
As in all things bee related, personal preference varies.

I will say bee quick is 100, no, 1000 times better than bee go.

The only filter I use is a bucket size paint strainer from the paint or hardware store. They come in 5 gal. and 1 gal. sizes.

Others will come along and give you their opinions on uncapping and extractors, I'm sure.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Brandy

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:18:42 pm »
I would also take a quick look at the Triangle Escape boards.  Not sure how they would affect your budget but I think one of the best and easiest tools to take off your crop.  No dripping frames etc...

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:09:36 pm »
i think i have bee quick in the barn. some people like to not use any "chemicals" to remove bees.  you can use a blower, escape board, etc. 

i don't strain my honey much.  i don't mind chunks and the tree huggers around here think they are getting a great bonus when they find a leg in their  honey.  :-)  paint strainer, cheese cloth,  all cheaper ways to go.  the strainers they sell in the beekeeping catalogs are spendy.  you can get the same results with a strainer and your choice of cheese cloth, pantyhose....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:39:29 pm »
God I love pantyhose But please only new ;) Of course I use the legs part to stain paint. I have a standing order in with the wife for her pantyhose. Of course I am a painting contractor. so I do a little bite of staining.
My-smokepole
My-smokepole

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:51:12 pm »
I did a few supers last year, I didn't use none of that stuff, I just shake the bees off of the frames and brush off the ones that are stubborn, didn't seem to be a big issue, bees just fell off and flew around some. the rest just went donw in to the hive. I don't see a real reason for that stuff. Not yet anyway. Maybe this fall or next might be needed. I also bought the bottling bucket with the filters and the spout gate. works fine. I used both the 400 and then the 600. And I watched ebay and got a nice 4 frame stainless lil wonder for 150.00 saved me a bundle.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline IABeeMan

• House Bee
    • Natures Best Honey
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 10:09:11 pm »
 I have a small generator so I use a shop vac to blow the bees off. If you do not have a power source you can simply shake and brush.

Check with other beekeepers near you or a local group. Many group have an extractor for members to use. If there is no group close by as in my situation share with another beekeeper. I have a beekeeper near by that brings his supers over and he healps me extract mine then when done we extract his.

I strain with cheesecloth or new pantyhose. If you use the strainers you can simply use the finer mesh. The only thing there is that it will need cleaned off more often as the wax will back up.

Uncapping with a scrathcer is messy and tends to damage the comb a good deal more than a knife. As with the extractor many groups have a knife to loan. If you use a cold knife I would suggest having some sort of heat source to heat the knife inbetween frames.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:13:49 am »
I'm getting ready for my second year beekeeping.  I didn't harvest last year, but I'm looking through the magazines and on-line to order some things to harvest this year. 

Any input on seperating the bees from their honey?  Is Bee Go or Bee Quick the only way to go and which would be better? 
Shake the bees off the frame. Bee Go smells to high heaven.

For uncapping, what would be the benefits or drawbacks to the scratcher vs. electric knives vs. a cold uncapping knife?
A bread knife and a container filled with hot water. Place knife minus the handle in the hot water for a few minutes. Save money.
This is just a hobby right now and I hope to harvest honey from three hives this year.  Would it be worth it to get a cheap ($120) all plastic two-frame extractor (from Dadant)?
No

I was going to try to bottle from a 5-gallon bucket.  Would I really need three filters (200 micron fine filter, 400 micron medium filter and a 600 micron fine filter)?
No, buy cheesecloth and a good metal strainer.
On a budget and trying to make some wise decisions.
Thanks for any input.
Mark Swartfager
NW PA
Take it easy and save yourself some money. You will have more fun that way.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 07:19:10 am »
i think i have bee quick in the barn. some people like to not use any "chemicals" to remove bees.  you can use a blower, escape board, etc. 

i don't strain my honey much.  i don't mind chunks and the tree huggers around here think they are getting a great bonus when they find a leg in their  honey.   :-)  paint strainer, cheese cloth,  all cheaper ways to go.  the strainers they sell in the beekeeping catalogs are spendy.  you can get the same results with a strainer and your choice of cheese cloth, pantyhose....

:lau: :lau:

Keith

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 05:30:28 pm »
Thank you all for the input.  It helps to hear about these options to keep my head screwed on straight after I go "shopping" through the supply magazines.  It's real tempting to order a bunch of stuff, but the budget has to come first.  Can't wait for warm weather to see the bees out working...it was 8 degrees last night.  Thanks again. 

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 05:39:45 pm »
mswartfager, I get excited when I look at the catalogs too, but after I put them down and think about it, I realize that I can do without some of the gadgets.  Most of my time and money has been invested in my boxes/frames.  I crush/strain, so that helps with the budget too.  No foundation either, just let the bees do it.  I used homemade solar wax melter for remaining wax.  I like to tinker around and make my own gadgets, like the device used to "hold" the queen when marking her (queen marker?? can't recall the exact name of the contraption).  But you get the idea...I find the creative/resourceful side of beekeeping one of the benefits of beekeeping.  Best of luck this year....and remember most of all to HAVE FUN!

Best,
Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 05:51:49 pm »
Them catalogs are designed to make you drool. they got all the cool stuff you could ever want. some you do need, makes life a little easier. Get an extra large smoker. those little ones never last long enough. :)
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Potlicker1

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 07:21:02 pm »
Two things I can comment on first hand are that the capping scrapper produces more cappings in the honey.This makes straining out the honey difficult and also quickly plugs up the micron filters. Keep it simple.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 01:11:07 am »
I made my own knives by copying a design at the bee place out of 2" X 1/4" flat steel, ground a bevel all around and fashioned a handle. I made 2 so that I could heat one while using the other. It seems to work well.

Must do something better with my screening process though. A point brought up the other day, are the paint strainers food safe?

Mick

anything