Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hawks, chickens, & eggs  (Read 2662 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Hawks, chickens, & eggs
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:11:02 pm »
Recently we've been having predation problems again. Feral cats, foxes, & chicken hawks. Our egg production has been up and down. We only got one the other day, then about 3 days later around 11. I'm wanting to say stress is causing my chickens to falter. Has anyone noticed this before? A couple of them are molting but 90 percent aren't.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hawks, chickens, & eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 11:17:57 pm »
They naturally slow down laying as the days get shorter.  Some people put lights on them to extend "day" and keep them laying.

hot wire and bird netting    :wink:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 01:04:20 am »
Mine are not laying great either.  I keep telling the wife we need to put a light on them again.  Right now we are giving them a rest but the light is coming.   My chickens are not penned up and I am sure we don't find some eggs. I have seen big differances and went looking cause every once in a while they will pick someplace not in the house and lay.  They seem to talk to each other cause when one does it several will also.  A few do it regular.  I think they are the ones that get picked on in the hen house.  quite a few of mine are molting.

Best hope is a light though reading on the internet places stress as a reason for non laying.
Good luck
gww

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 12:19:34 pm »
Stress can certainly do it, but the backing off laying is normal for this time.  That would be my first guess. 

I don't put a light on mine, but I know many do.  I just save enough eggs to get me through Feb and then they usually pick up. 

Wish I could leave mine loose, but they'd be gone in a day!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »
Kathy
Wish I could leave mine loose, but they'd be gone in a day!

I have lost a couple during the day and a couple have gotten hit by cars but over all night time is when I have had the worst damage.  I had a street light go out and a weak spot in my coop and lost 14 in one night.  I am pretty religious on making sure they are lock down at dark.  I still with the best of attention forget a couple of times a year.  I live traped 2 possoms a coon and a cat.  They are not alive now though.  I believe it was the coon that got the birds though.  I know hawks and buzzards make them nervous and I have enough birds that I might not notice every time I lose one but over all if you can put up with the damage to your flower pots and anywhere there is dirt, they do pretty good during the day.  They are nosy little buggers though.
Cheers
gww

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 03:44:04 pm »
Racoons are really nasty.  They keep coming back until they have them all. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 04:09:28 pm »
Not only are they nasty they're pretty dang smart too.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything