Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A brief history of "The Bug"  (Read 804 times)

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
Re: A brief history of "The Bug"
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 08:53:26 am »
I remember 30s on the highway and low 20s in town.
Dependable? Pretty much, if they were maintained. I used to say if you changed the oil every 3000 and adjusted the valves every other oil change, the motor would run forever. A lot of them got gunked up from bad oil or not changing it enough. Quaker State was the worst of oils and cheap, so a lot of motors got nastied up by it and people were used to longer oil change intervals. The bug didn't have an oil filter, just a strainer under the round plate that had the drain plug in it. People hardly ever cleaned it either. .. or cleaned and re-oiled the air filter

Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 11:02:31 am »
Sounds like my 1951 ford 9n tractor.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 12:10:13 pm »
>I remember 30s on the highway and low 20s in town.

As you say, it was definitely lower in town.  As to maintenance, I never had a water pump issue or a radiator issue.  :)  It had a simplicity to it.  All kinds of aftermarket things were available like a crank start etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 12:23:01 pm »
With their air cooled motor; What was a good highway cruising speed? Could they cruise at 70 MPH and still run economically and efficiently?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 12:32:18 pm »
>Could they cruise at 70 MPH and still run economically and efficiently?

The ones I drove were not very powerful.  I often fell below 55mph on hills.  I don't remember every cruising at 70mph. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2024, 02:56:30 pm »
When I had my Bug down in Bermuda, I never got to drive it over 30 mph. The speed limit was 20 mph. It was a good thing that the island was only 20 miles long. I think that was where they got the speed limit from. 😊
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2024, 11:58:31 pm »
With their air cooled motor; What was a good highway cruising speed? Could they cruise at 70 MPH and still run economically and efficiently?
Dunno about economically or efficiently, but not comfortably. It's not the air cooled part that's the problem. Displacement and not being designed to output a lot of power is. After a fresh rebuild that was mostly stock 1500cc(90 cubic inches or so), I pushed my '67 to a little under 100 and it did not like it at all . It handled 70 ok. The earlier 6volt models had smaller engines and weren't as fast. At 70 it started to feel light and having a crosswind hit you if you were doing above 80 would really get your attention. Long steep hills were also a killer for the poor little motors.
In 1985, with the hotrod motor, I  got a ticket in Artesia MS on Hwy 45 for 97 mph. HP was being nice and told me he was writing it for that because if he wrote it above 100, he would have to take me to jail. Went to court in Columbus, it was taking forever and they broke for lunch before my case came up. I asked some official if there was any way I could get another court date because I had a test in a vector mechanics class in about 2 hours in Starkville, and they said the judge would have to ok it.... so .. I chased him down in the parking lot and caught up to him, as luck would have it, right next to my car. Quickly ran through the details to him, told him my speedometer was broken but now replaced, had a junkyard receipt for a speedo, the old speedo and a cordless drill in my hand and said something like "Besides, I don't think this thing was doing 97."(and kicked it's bumper) That got his attention and he said "In THIS car ?" I said "yes sir" while trying my best to will a halo into existence above my head. He said, "give me that" and snatched the ticket out of my hand and studied it over, looking back and forth between it and the car. Then he said "Go take your test and don't worry about this ticket, it's dismissed."
I never lied to him  :cool:

Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)