Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollination Saturation  (Read 1543 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Pollination Saturation
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:10:08 pm »
Hello all,
    As I have began to network with individuals on the subject of beekeeping, I happened upon a blueberry farm that needs pollination for next year.  I did a little research and came up with 3 hives per acre in the north.  What about in the midwest?  I would guess its the same?  Thoughts appreciated.

David

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Pollination Saturation
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 05:54:27 pm »
Hello all,
    As I have began to network with individuals on the subject of beekeeping, I happened upon a blueberry farm that needs pollination for next year.  I did a little research and came up with 3 hives per acre in the north.  What about in the midwest?  I would guess its the same?  Thoughts appreciated.

David

Pollination ratios on any crop for bee hives per acre are pretty standard throughout the USA.  Different crops can require different density of bees.  With any crop multiply the recommended density of hives times the number of acres of crop to come up with you required amount of hives needed.  If there are additional types of crops in close proximity that bloom at the same time it is also important to note which type of crops the bees prefer.  Blueberries are a crop bees need to be forced to pollenate so the presence of other crops means less focus on the blueberries so additional hives would be necessary--probably going to 4 hives per acre.  In my area cabbage seed  blooms at the same time as blueberries and the bees will work the seed crop and ignore the blueberries unless they are forced to by over foraging, meaning more bees in a given area.  Hope that helps.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: Pollination Saturation
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 02:20:07 am »
Thanks Brian,  yes what you say makes sense.  It would be difference if that was the only nectar/pollen source at that given time.  I have figured six hives, they have about two acres of blueberries.  We'll see how it turns out. 

David