Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: top auger hole in supers?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
top auger hole in supers?
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:31:09 am »
 Do many (any) people put an auger hole in their supers?

I will be using a Queen Excluder (don't need to discuss the QE vs. no QE issue - I have read the many commentaries on this forum about that).

I would think that an auger hole in the super would be a good way to promote ventilation and give access for bees.  Seems an easier solution than a shim type of up entrance.

we have auger holes in our hive bodies and the bees seem to prefer these as entrances over the bottom entrance.

We are beginners at this, so just learning.

thanks

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: top auger hole in supers?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 11:56:40 am »
I posted the same question as upper entrance.  Look around or do a search on upper entrance.

David.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:33:47 pm »
Drilling holes in supers might seem like a good idea but I've never known a beekeeper who did it who didn't regret it big time later.  It creates more problems than it cures and it doesn't even cure the problems it is used for. 
A vent at the top most part of the upper super is a must but drilling a hole doesn't put it where it's needed.
A vent below the top most part of the super still lets  a good amount of moisture accumulate, which can, at times, produce rain inside the hive. 
A top vent can also be used for an entrance but holes in the supers make a lot of extra entrances that can subject a colony to robbing as the more entrances the harder for the bees to guard them all.
Over time a beekeeper can end up with holes drilled in every box because the boxes aren't put on the same hive or in the same order as they were the year before so new holes are added.
Venting is a little different than entrances but every vent can be used as an entrance.  Proper ventilation calls for a one way air flow from the bottom of the hive to the top, this can be done with either SBB and an Imirie shim, or SBB and a top entrance.  Both provide the required ventilation and control and limit the amount of entrances.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:09:19 pm »
>Do many (any) people put an auger hole in their supers?

I tried it and regretted it.  I'd use either an Imirie shim or shims under the inner cover.

>I would think that an auger hole in the super would be a good way to promote ventilation and give access for bees.

For the bees, yes.  For the beekeeper, no. 

>Seems an easier solution than a shim type of up entrance.

Two shingle shims is a very simple solution.  Any old stick under the inner cover is even simpler, but not as elegant.  Believe it or not, just sliding the top super back 3/4" of an inch and leaving a gap works great.  You think it will rain in, but the water just runs down the side.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:17:29 pm »
 That was a good question Tandemrx,
I have holes in some of my boxes,but not all, only because I forgot to drill them :) Now I've reconsidered putting the holes in.
your friend,
john